Best Do It All Shotgun?

Old thread....Simple find an older 870 Wingmaster. Save your old fixed choke barrel and throw a newer tube choke barrel on it if you want. They were still made start to finish by one person even into the early 90's. Then they went to crap after the express and production line guns started making more money. Grab every one you can find and is not crazy jacked up in price.
AHHH Yes! But if you have the money get yourself a M-1Field Benelli 20ga (or similar-newer). Benelli's are awesome. I am old school; with a Remington 1100 mag 12ga with a 30" cut to put a Poly Choke on. Shot everything from dove, quail, woodcock, grouse, pheasant, duck, geese. You can get by with 2 3/4 high brass or 2 3/4 mag and it will cycle fine.

Not an aficionado, but my Beretta A400 Unico with walnut stock has been a true do it all gun for me. It shoots 3-1/2" for goose hunts, and has done everything from rice fields to sporting clays events. I love it and highly recommend it.

best do all is a remington 870. It is a gun first, but I have used my old trusty wingmaster as a paddle, and when it was asked, it still did what all good shotguns do, it went Bang, bang, bang. They are not glamorous, but if you want a reliable shotgun that is good at everything, hard to beat the 870, 26" barrel with rem chokes. If you want pretty wood, step up to a Wingmaster. You dont need the 3.5" magnium in my opinion.

On the less costly end ($1400 and down)of the 12ga O/U you said he is wanting, the Beretta field guns are the best I am familiar with. If you hunt with it and shoot clay targets occasionally they will last a lifetime or 3. The Browning Citori line is also durable but heavy and square to me. The Ruger Red Label moves and shoots really well for me with 30" barrels, the 28" not so much. If it is a hunting gun stay away from ported barrels, hearing and potential ejecta damage aren't worth the small gain.

If you know any trap shooters go to a trap club and shoot as many different models as you can. One or 2 will just work for you.

A shot gun has to fit. Drop at heel,drop at comb,length of pull. It all matters with shotguns. When it fits you'll hit everything you shoot at. Then buy what fits you.

870-12. Done.
2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2" take your pick.
Adult to youth stocks.
You can stir concrete with one and it will still shoot fine.
Use as club for home protection and will still shoot fine.
Drop out of canoe, find it following week, will shoot fine. So I am told cause I would NEVER do something so stupid to lay across canoe gunwale when waves came in. 🤬
Aftermarket dress up is probably incalculable number of options. More barrels, lengths, options than any other shotgun. Anyone that has a 870 prob has 2-3 extra barrels.
Bet every gun shop has parts even if laying around in floor.
Throw slug barrel on it for deer.