Best die for 300wsm?

USMCSSGT

Looking for a new die set for my 300wsm.

Which is the best? FL or neck?

Any to avoid?

Thought I has a set, but can't find it...might have been using my buddies RCBS (been a few years) I had a factory load that was awesome so did not see the need to reload. Had no luck finding the factory loads last year, so I'm back to reloading.

Let the hatered begin but i just bought a two die set (fl)Hornady custom grade for my 300wsm....and a 100ct box of 210 bergers....i took the seating stem out and checked to make sure it wasnt going to hit the tip of the bullet and checked to see where it made contact, looked good to me so i grabbed both, will find out in a few weeks ( ok probly by end of summer) if i did the right thing..
You can get Hornadys version of the competition micrometer seater to screw into the seating die as well so if i need that nth more its availible

Looking for a new die set for my 300wsm.

Which is the best? FL or neck?

Any to avoid?

Thought I has a set, but can't find it...might have been using my buddies RCBS (been a few years) I had a factory load that was awesome so did not see the need to reload. Had no luck finding the factory loads last year, so I'm back to reloading.

I just picked up a Montana rifles 300 wsm. Never had one and wasn't really looking for it but it fell into my lap. Let me know what you find out please.
I reload and I am going to buy some factory loads for barrel break in. What was your factory goto round??? Maybe if I find them I can pick some up for you.

Anyway, also what powder to start with??
Thanks

Mario

I use a Lee collet neck sizer.
Forster competition seater
Forster FL sizer.

RL-17 for light weight bullets, less than 178
H4350 for Medium weight bullets, between 179 and 200
H4831 for Heavies, over 200

but there are other combinations

I use RCBS and FL size with no issues, but I am not loading for competition.

I have had good success with:
RL 17 and Berger 185 Classic Hunter. .020 off the lands
IMR 4350 and Barnes 180 TTSX. .050 off the lands.

These will get me in the .4s in a factory Savage LRH

I use nothing but Redding competition die sets that has a FL bushing resizing die and a micrometer competition seating die. If you have a chance to take apart the seating die you will understand why it is far superior in design/function to a standard seating die.

In the end, I'm not all that stuck on any particular brand as long as the seating die can achieve .002 concentricity, or better, on all reloads. Redding competition dies make every bullet fall within this spec and many are .001 or better.

Also forgot to add that for a hunting rifle where ammo is near maximum pressure, I only FL resize my brass. I do use Redding competition shellholders so I can control the resizing operation to only bump the shoulder .001 to .002 shorter than the chamber.

My favorite factory load was the Winchester Supreme, 180 AB (S300WSMCT)

$55 a box, but I was working lots of OT. Not so much now, so I have time to reload.

When I got my 300 WSM in about 2004 I had the same thought. What die? I ordered a set of RCBS Neck size and Seating die and a RCBS Full Length Sizing die by itself. I use the full length for new brass preparation and hunting rounds. Practice and play rounds Neck Size only. It is bad enough to have a problem with a round on the range, But be in camp hunting no time for shells sticking or causing problems. My deer hunting load is Winchester LRM Primer, 180 gr. Hornady Inter belt Bullet, and IMR 4350 Powder, COL 2.860. My big game load is Winchester LRM Primer, 180 gr. Nosler Partition Bullet and IMR 4350 Powder, COL 2.860. With the 300 WSM's short neck I did not trust trying to only partially Neck Size in a Full Length Die. Good Luck in finding a set of dies that will do what you need.

I load what I consider to be excellent quality 300 WSM ammo with standard Hornady FL dies. My rounds are always straight when I do my part in brass preparation. I have them set to bump the shoulders .002" and seat the Berger 210 VLD to 3.000" OAL.

I load what I consider to be excellent quality 300 WSM ammo with standard Hornady FL dies. My rounds are always straight when I do my part in brass preparation. I have them set to bump the shoulders .002" and seat the Berger 210 VLD to 3.000" OAL.

Thats good to hear! What brass powder and primer are you usin? Ive got a bunch of winchester brass and will start out with that

Thats good to hear! What brass powder and primer are you usin? Ive got a bunch of winchester brass and will start out with that

Norma brass, 7828ssc, with a CCI 250. This combo is my go to for velocity, temp stability, and accuracy.

Norma brass, 7828ssc, with a CCI 250. This combo is my go to for velocity, temp stability, and accuracy.

Copy that....was gunna start shoppin for powder and primers and didnt know what would work best for a startin point with my 26" tube thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.