Best die choices for 300 wm

ppoole

I'm getting a new 300 Winchester mag from my smith soon. Has anyone used Forster dies on a 300?

"Best" will be very subjective. I prefer Redding comp dies. I remove the expander ball and run .002 neck tension. I use the seating dies to ensure every round is loaded to the same OAL.

I like the concept of Lee collet die but my experience with Lee has been you get what you pay for with the finish.

I had the competition dies for my rum I liked them but never played with the competition bushing sizer. I never had to I set it up and got good results especially after turning brass.

I started using expander mandrels to set neck tension and like that a lot so I really like the concept of continuing with them.

Has anyone compared the regular bushing die to competition die?

I do not have a 300 Winchester magnum but I prefer the Forster full length dies because of the minimum neck runout.

The real question is your chamber, the cases and if the die will reduce the case diameter just above the belt.

Reloading Belted Magnums (Questions & Answers)
http://www.larrywillis.com/answers.html

Belted Magnum
Collet Resizing Die
http://www.larrywillis.com/
diebig.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried RCBS, Forester, and then decided i like the Redding Master Hunter set the best.

I use RCBS and Redding. Nothing wrong with RCBS, but I prefer Redding. They're just a bit smoother when FL sizing, almost like they polish the insides of the dies after cutting them.

Hornady new dimension seater
Redding body
Lee collet
That's the set up I use for all my rifles except 338 Lapua, I use RCBS full length bushing die without the expander for it.

I use Forster FL honed neck dies.
I fire a few cases prior to ordering so I know what neck diameter I need and get them honed.
I use the expander and lube it with graphite powder, this give ME the most concentric cases.

Cheers.

I have a Forster Bushing bump neck die 300WM. I like the thing. Measuring as best I can, seems my inside and outside diameters are fairly consistent after sizing. Just ran a quick comparison today. Pulled my expander ball on my, soon to be history, RCBS Full sizer in 270. ( Maybe apples to oranges)
Sized numbers ranged in 3 -5 thousands difference measuring 6 Norma cases inside and out after sizing. These cases have only been fired twice. I did not compare using the expander. My Forster on Hornady cases measured much more consistent after sizing. It's set to push shoulders .002. I know my test isn't rocket science but enough for me to get rid of expander die on the 270. Just hate it when the expander gets sticky and I have to try and lift the bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.