Best deer scope

I would take a really close look at the Swarovski z5's… they are very bright, crisp and clear scopes. I love the schmidt bender klassik as well but if you're leaning toward illuminated the Swarovski z5 for less than 2k would be my choice. The Leupolds are not as crisp and clear to me. I ordered a leupold HD5 from europtic last week just to try it out. Pulled it out of the box and there's wasn't any comparison to my Schmidt bender and Swarovskis I have. I returned the leupold as europtic has a 15 day money back guarantee and immediately ordered another Swarovski!!
I'll raise another alternative to this suggestion in the Meopta Meostar R2. I ordered one of each model earlier this year and can't wait to try them out in the field. There's a comparison on YT between the Meostar R2 and Z6i that seemed to lean pretty favorably to the Meopta, especially factoring in price (about the same as the Z5s or less), but that was only one person so YMMV. Here's the link for reference-

So far, I can say that the eye relief, reticle illumination, and construction are wonderful. One thing I'd like to point out specifically is that zoom dial, to me, is the most enjoyable to use of ANY top shelf glass I've toyed with on displays, including the Zeiss Victory and Conquest V6, Leica Magnus, Kahles, and Swarovski Z8i. The turret clicks are also super solid and satisfying, which I'm hopeful will translate to an equally robust mechanism that will hold zero and track true for years to come.

I'm here in the Adirondacks, which isn't very different from you in Maine. By the sounds of it you may have some clear cuts that I don't have. Unless I ride down and hunt over near Lake Champlain, my long shots are 100 yards, down by the lake I can get 200 yard shots. For me my goto rifle is a Savage 99 chambered in 300. I have a 1-6 lpvo mounted with a center dot and a ballistic reticle that allows holdovers out to 200. It works great for coming up quickly at 1x with the red dot, and I have taken deer at 150. If your shots are longer you may want to add a little magnification. I'd consider a nice 2-12 with a red dot in the middle. At 2x you'll be able to come up fast like a lpvo, and at 12x you'd be able to make farther shots. If you have to come up fast having a lower power and that center dot is very helpful. You could go to 3-15 and with a center dot still be pretty quick, but lower power is better for close, quick shots and a clean reticle with a simple center dot is easiest for the task in close.
There are so many good options now, it's always money that dictates. 1-10x, 1.5x15, 2x10, 2-12x, 2.5-25, 2.5x15, 3-15, 3-18x, but magnification isn't everything. A forgiving eye box allows you to gain a sight picture more quickly in the tight woods. Usually those good eye boxes cost more.
What is your budget?

My vote is the leupold vx5 or vx6 in whatever magnification range u prefer. But the main reason I would choose one of these is the ion guard coating. It helps water bead up better so if your hunting in the elements or if you are breathing heavy in cold weather the scope is less likely to fog up. On my woods rifle (tikka t3x 7/08) I have a bushnell elite 4-12 with rainguard. Freaking awesome in the rain and snow. I don't even worry about covering it up. The VX5 and VX6 have a similar coating but clearer then the bushnell. When selecting a hunting scope remember most of the time the shot isn't in perfect weather and you need to be quick on setting up the shot. So dealing with scope covers and such can be a PIA when the moment comes. And there's nothing better then spending a grand or more on a scope u can't see through due to rain or heavy breathing.(sarcasm)

Im in northern Maine and we have forestry clearcuts so a shot at anything from close timber to whatever Im capable of shooting ethically are all possible. I have yet to see what that will be with the new equipment. But some clearcuts up here are longer than I will be capable of.
2-10x, I'm in NH and in the same boat as you in terms of shot distance, when I hunt in NY in ag land the shots can be up to about 250-300 yards but often times it's a 50-100 yard shot in timber. The Leupold VX5 2-10x is a great option, I personally run Tract scopes on my big game rifles, they have a great 2-10x in their Toric line. Another to consider would be the Trijicon Huron in 2-10x. I don't have any experience in shorting with the Huron but it has great reviews on YouTube and I got to handle one at Monadnock Firearms in Fitzwilliam NH and was really impressed by the glass quality and features. The Toric will sett you back about 700, the Huron 600 and the Leupold 1000.

Look at the Tract optics web site you can then call them and talk to Jon Allen and tell him your needs. He can answer All your questions. I have mounted 4 for friends and grandson these are high quality optics!!
I have 4 tract scopes, my only regret is not having 10 more tract scopes…..imo there isn't a better scope on the market for hunting, regardless of price. The nice price is just the icing on the cake.

I'll raise another alternative to this suggestion in the Meopta Meostar R2. I ordered one of each model earlier this year and can't wait to try them out in the field. There's a comparison on YT between the Meostar R2 and Z6i that seemed to lean pretty favorably to the Meopta, especially factoring in price (about the same as the Z5s or less), but that was only one person so YMMV. Here's the link for reference-

So far, I can say that the eye relief, reticle illumination, and construction are wonderful. One thing I'd like to point out specifically is that zoom dial, to me, is the most enjoyable to use of ANY top shelf glass I've toyed with on displays, including the Zeiss Victory and Conquest V6, Leica Magnus, Kahles, and Swarovski Z8i. The turret clicks are also super solid and satisfying, which I'm hopeful will translate to an equally robust mechanism that will hold zero and track true for years to come.

Have heard AWESOME things about Meopta

Lenny, I also have possibly 500 yard shots if I determine I'm capable. I have open fields and large forest clearcuts up to 800 yards long. We'll see what happens but I doubt 3-18 power is too much. I'm primarily a tree stand or ground blind hunter.
I often forget how much farther some of the shots can be just one state over….I'm in NH and honestly a 1-4x often is more than adequate and anything more than 10x is complete overkill. We just don't log like you guys do up there.

I have been curious to look at the Maven 2-10x. I was really kinda bummed by the new Leupold VX3HD line having the uncapped elevation dial. I read some reviews from guys hunting in rain conditions that said rain seeped into the dial housing. The Trijicon Hurons and Tract Torics are very nice, both have glass etched reticles and very nice glass at about half the price of a VX5. Wish they still made the Burris Veracity in SFP and the Nikon Monarch M5's.

Hello, new member here. I have a Seekins Havak on the way in 6.5PRC. My next consideration is a good scope and wondering what direction to go? So far, my candidates are Lepold VX-6HD 3-18x50 Boone aand Crocket, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. Trying to stay below 2K.
I would go with a Sig scope

Hello, new member here. I have a Seekins Havak on the way in 6.5PRC. My next consideration is a good scope and wondering what direction to go? So far, my candidates are Lepold VX-6HD 3-18x50 Boone aand Crocket, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. Trying to stay below 2K.
Leupold has my vote I've never owned a bad one

Does anyone have another idea I should look at or consider?
I have also been hearing excellent things about Maven optics. They have a 2-10x38 that runs about 12 ounces and is highly rated, retails about $550.00

I am seriously considering this because it runs roughly in line with price, features and specs/dimensions as the Leupold VX3HD but comes with capped turrets, a 5x mag range and wider FOV.

Leupold has my vote I've never owned a bad one
Same here. The glass is the most pleasing to my eyes than others I have tried. Honestly I think scope purchases fall into the same category as boot purchases. In my opinion you really should try them before you buy them. Not every boot is going to fit and feel the same, and not every scope is going to look the same to everyone.

I go to local stores and look through glass before I buy- and more than once. I go during bright light, and go at dusk.

Recent Posts