Best Controlled Feed Action???

OP last seen Dec 16, 2019.
Perhaps he ordered custom and is waiting, or he chose poorly and the bear won?

I really wanted Ruger's Alaskan in 375 and their limited Guide in 6.5 Swede. Thought they'd be available a while, waited and missed both.
About two years after that, came across each in a Cabelas Gun Library. They were thrashed, the action sloppy, and the Alaskan was ~$1K, the guide ~$1200.
Felt glad I missed buying them.

The Montana Actions are nice the Winny pre 64's are nicer . A friend of mine a member of The American Custom Gunmakers Guild wouldn't put a new mod 70 action into his build's he'd build on Winny pre64's, Mauser and Montana. The Winchester new mod 70's they work.

Did he happen to say why? My guess is the trigger mech because I can't find fault with the rest. My extreme weather is the smoothest action I own

yes , he said new mod 70's cheaply made. If a customer of his wanted a gun built for bad weather lots of rain, clients up in Alaska he would use Montana actions for the build

I have an American Rifle Company Archimedes action which is a three lug CRF action. Its extractor is not quite as big as a Mausingfield or a Mauser but it is still big and it has a pivoting bolt handle that uses your backward pull on the bolt handle for primary extraction rather than the upward bolt lift.

The reason why that is really cool is that it allows you to use stronger muscles for the extraction, the extractor does rotate but not while it is extracting and the extractor is still stronger than a case rim, it will extract any stuck case unless it's stuck so hard that the case rim tears off from the force.

If the magazine is tuned properly the CRF takes care of getting the cartridge in, the big extractor takes care of getting it out and the unique primary extraction is extra insurance against stuck cases.

It also has a Springfield style ejector, a very robust bolt stop that will never fail, integral recoil lug, a keyed scope rail, toroidal locking lug surfaces and probably more that I'm forgetting.

The only downside is a more complicated bolt but if you take it apart, there is no obvious weak spot, the bolt head and bolt handle are both connected to the bolt body with large pins and the bolt handle goes through the bolt body. I can't imagine how the bolt would break unless it was a bad spring or firing pin tip, the same type of risk every bolt has...

Best is a matter of preference but since I have my Archimedes, I'm going to judge everything else by that standard.
These are nice actions

yes , he said new mod 70's cheaply made. If a customer of his wanted a gun built for bad weather lots of rain, clients up in Alaska he would use Montana actions for the build

I'm not knocking the Montana's by any stretch but I'd love to see how he arrived at the conclusion that current model 70's are cheap. I could only see that if he was talking about the CRPF models.

What's wrong with the model 70? Or a Kimber, or a CZ...

I can't attest firsthand for the CZ rifles but it's a common topic that they need to be worked over when you get them. Like feedlips, extractor, and trigger. I REALLY wanted to get a 416 Rigby and they make them and they aren't terribly expensive but from the research I did it seemed that the consensus was the model 70 safari had a way better fit and finish. I haven't owned any kimber rifles but they didn't come up much in those threads either. Mostly referencing Africa hunting forums for the safari guns. I've had CZ pistols and seen CZ rifles and currently own Winchester products. The Winchester's do seem smoother and better finished on average.

just some food for thought.if you want a custom 375 or any custom built for dangerous game and dont have echols type funds there are others that can do some very good work on winchesters.do your research.to me and for quite a bit less mark penrod of penrod precision can build you a rifle of equal quality.he metal work and machining are flawless.i also believe the tolerances he holds when chambering are better than echols or g simillion.google his work or maybe someone else with knowledge of his work will chime in..most important with any rifle for dangerous game is absolute feeding reliability everytime you cycle the bolt..all three of these great smiths and some others will make sure of this critical factor.i am going to have mark build me one very shortly.the wait will be quite awhile but not to extreme.good luck.

Got another cheap model 70
689D8555-77B5-4303-B949-69F298FFB1AD.jpeg

I can't attest firsthand for the CZ rifles but it's a common topic that they need to be worked over when you get them. Like feedlips, extractor, and trigger. I REALLY wanted to get a 416 Rigby and they make them and they aren't terribly expensive but from the research I did it seemed that the consensus was the model 70 safari had a way better fit and finish. I haven't owned any kimber rifles but they didn't come up much in those threads either. Mostly referencing Africa hunting forums for the safari guns. I've had CZ pistols and seen CZ rifles and currently own Winchester products. The Winchester's do seem smoother and better finished on average.
I had one CZ, a 550 BRNO action in 416 Rigby.
The action was superb, better than my Win 70 and similar to my Tikka in smoothness.
The only disadvantage to CZ, a big one, was the limited aftermarket stocks and finding a Smith who wanted to work on it, whom I trusted.

I had one CZ, a 550 BRNO action in 416 Rigby.
The action was superb, better than my Win 70 and similar to my Tikka in smoothness.
The only disadvantage to CZ, a big one, was the limited aftermarket stocks and finding a Smith who wanted to work on it, whom I trusted.

That's good to hear. I can't imagine it being better than a Winchester though. My only gripe with my latest one is some tooling marks on the sides of the trigger guard the machining on the action is clean and the action feeds super slick. Comparing smoothness to a Tikka is a high compliment though

That's good to hear. I can't imagine it being better than a Winchester though. My only gripe with my latest one is some tooling marks on the sides of the trigger guard the machining on the action is clean and the action feeds super slick. Comparing smoothness to a Tikka is a high compliment though
To be fair, I didnt know its history when I bought it, and whether it had ever been serviced.
It was smoother than the M70.
As far as value to me, I still own the Winnie, sold the CZ.
I was developing flinch from the 416 Rigby. Too much rifle for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.