Best Controlled Feed Action???

If I remember right between $18,000 and $32,000 not including optic or test ammunition which you'll have to pay for.
I think that is kind of my point. A good working or even pretty fancy CRF rifle can be had for $4000 - $7500. This is my issue with the $15000 and up builders. They do make good rifle and have customers lined out the door!

My next rifle fits this category pretty well....sure, I'm not asking for custom machined scope mounts or 5 panel checkered bolt knobs, but it will still be a nice rifle.

IMO, a good trued action is $900 - $1600; a good fiberglass or carbon fiber stock is under $1000; a premium wood stock with all the bells and whistles is about $4000; a good barrel chambered in what you want, with sights is about $1000; a premium hunting optic is about $1000

Back to the OP....I would call Dennis Olson and tell him exactly what you want. He can tell you what to send him and how much it will set you back. You do have to know what you want!

I'm thinking a a Ruger African in 375 Ruger polished up by a smith that knows his stuff and stocked to fit you right would be pretty sweet. I like the Ruger mounts when used with Warne rings.

That looks awesome. I'm very new to this custom rifle game and I had not seen that through my Google searches. My preference was for detachable magazines, but I will consider this.
I'm doing an Ed brown 704 right now going to switch the BDL for seekings gen2 DBM can't see any issue with DBM in this action.

You will have to look long and hard for a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. They do turn up but not for the $550 they originally sold for! That should tell you something. Warne rings do not come loose. 375 H&H performance in a standard length action with a 20" barrel, what's not to like! 250 grain Sierra Game King over Varget, right at 2700 fps, easy to shoot but hits very hard! The Hogue stock does help, I do not like the laminated guide rifle stock! Very accurate. Put an "Ernie the gunsmith" spring in it, a little polish with a stone and you have a sweet trigger. Mine is my go to for everything!

That looks awesome. I'm very new to this custom rifle game and I had not seen that through my Google searches. My preference was for detachable magazines, but I will consider this.
You might have trouble getting one of these actions Legendary is waiting for a new FFL , new owners?

I have been thinking a lot about building a rifle in .375 Ruger. I had thought about just going with the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but I'm not sure that I am fond of the integrated scope mounts and I am not a fan of the 20 inch barrel.

I looked at the BigHorn Arms TL3 and thought it was pretty nice. I am looking for the best controlled feed action that will be suited for the .375 Ruger cartridge. I figured that going with a custom gun over the mass produced variety would give me better accuracy and a slicker bolt should I need to cycle another round in a hurry.

Thanks for all of the input.

Oh, and stock recommendations for said action would be great too.

And because I know someone will ask, I plan on using this rifle for the bigger game in North America. I'm thinking bears and moose. I would believe that all of my shots will be inside 300 yards and I will probably be carrying this rifle around with me on some hunts.
Winchester pre64 mod70

The only issue with the new Model 70 compared to the pre-64 is the 2 piece bolt/handle. The pre-64 is a one piece design. All post 64's, including the CRF model have the bolt handle press fit to the bolt body with a serrated sleeve. These have been known to slip/fail with heavy use rendering the bolt inoperable. While this failure may be rare, for use with dangerous game it is recommended that the sleeve be spot welded to the bolt body by a gunsmith to insure its integrity. This was surely the case with the Hartford models. I'm uncertain whether this was addressed with the more current models since Winchester was acquired.
I have several pre64 mod70's , i bought one of the classic mod 70's definitely a cheaper version , pre 64's much nicer

I have several pre64 mod70's , i bought one of the classic mod 70's definitely a cheaper version , pre 64's much nicer

I've got 3 new production Model 70's and I should have a 4th tomorrow. I'm expecting the 4th to be as nice if not nicer than the other 3. I've also got two FN model 70's. I think a new production model 70 is as good as ever, not quite as nice as a late 50's pre 64, but still a very nice ride for what you pay

I've got 3 new production Model 70's and I should have a 4th tomorrow. I'm expecting the 4th to be as nice if not nicer than the other 3. I've also got two FN model 70's. I think a new production model 70 is as good as ever, not quite as nice as a late 50's pre 64, but still a very nice ride for what you pay
The Montana Actions are nice the Winny pre 64's are nicer . A friend of mine a member of The American Custom Gunmakers Guild wouldn't put a new mod 70 action into his build's he'd build on Winny pre64's, Mauser and Montana. The Winchester new mod 70's they work.

Bighorn SR3 action. Since the original post just asked about actions. Remember you will have to place all rounds in the mag well before loading them or the round might not get picked up properly. I have a Ruger Safari in 416 Rigby which is very accurate and costs a little less than 2x the custom action only price. I don't think there is much in the way of bargain controlled feed actions unless you stumble onto a used one.
PS: I have a McMillan Adjustable Game Warden CF stock on my SR3 with Bartlein barrel.

Last edited:
A 7 1/2 month old thread that's found new life! That said, in your research, do read up on the Mauser action made by Zastava. One iteration is the Rem 798. Particularly if your budget won't support some of the other excellent suggestions here.

I have an American Rifle Company Archimedes action which is a three lug CRF action. Its extractor is not quite as big as a Mausingfield or a Mauser but it is still big and it has a pivoting bolt handle that uses your backward pull on the bolt handle for primary extraction rather than the upward bolt lift.

The reason why that is really cool is that it allows you to use stronger muscles for the extraction, the extractor does rotate but not while it is extracting and the extractor is still stronger than a case rim, it will extract any stuck case unless it's stuck so hard that the case rim tears off from the force.

If the magazine is tuned properly the CRF takes care of getting the cartridge in, the big extractor takes care of getting it out and the unique primary extraction is extra insurance against stuck cases.

It also has a Springfield style ejector, a very robust bolt stop that will never fail, integral recoil lug, a keyed scope rail, toroidal locking lug surfaces and probably more that I'm forgetting.

The only downside is a more complicated bolt but if you take it apart, there is no obvious weak spot, the bolt head and bolt handle are both connected to the bolt body with large pins and the bolt handle goes through the bolt body. I can't imagine how the bolt would break unless it was a bad spring or firing pin tip, the same type of risk every bolt has...

Best is a matter of preference but since I have my Archimedes, I'm going to judge everything else by that standard.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts