Best Controlled Feed Action???

Defiance would be another option they make crf actions, you would have to contact them about a magnum l/a though because I've never looked into it much.

I have been thinking a lot about building a rifle in .375 Ruger. I had thought about just going with the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but I'm not sure that I am fond of the integrated scope mounts and I am not a fan of the 20 inch barrel.

I looked at the BigHorn Arms TL3 and thought it was pretty nice. I am looking for the best controlled feed action that will be suited for the .375 Ruger cartridge. I figured that going with a custom gun over the mass produced variety would give me better accuracy and a slicker bolt should I need to cycle another round in a hurry.

Thanks for all of the input.

Oh, and stock recommendations for said action would be great too.

And because I know someone will ask, I plan on using this rifle for the bigger game in North America. I'm thinking bears and moose. I would believe that all of my shots will be inside 300 yards and I will probably be carrying this rifle around with me on some hunts.
If your life is on the line nothing is going to beat the giant non rotating claw extractor of the Mauser, M70 or copies.

I've got a .375 H&H completely custom Mauser, 3 position safety, Canjar trigger. Had it built in about 1980. Favorite rifle, the one that catches the most attention in the safe. So many asking who gets it when I'm gone, I've started saying it will be decided in a WWF style ladder match.

I said all that to say this, today I'd buy the Ruger Alaskan. I might restock it. The ones I've seen all shoot.

In the 20" barrel with mine factory 300 grain ammo advertised at 2525, clocks 2520. With some of the good bullets out there today, you'll be just fine.

I have been thinking a lot about building a rifle in .375 Ruger. I had thought about just going with the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but I'm not sure that I am fond of the integrated scope mounts and I am not a fan of the 20 inch barrel.

I looked at the BigHorn Arms TL3 and thought it was pretty nice. I am looking for the best controlled feed action that will be suited for the .375 Ruger cartridge. I figured that going with a custom gun over the mass produced variety would give me better accuracy and a slicker bolt should I need to cycle another round in a hurry.

Thanks for all of the input.

Oh, and stock recommendations for said action would be great too.

And because I know someone will ask, I plan on using this rifle for the bigger game in North America. I'm thinking bears and moose. I would believe that all of my shots will be inside 300 yards and I will probably be carrying this rifle around with me on some hunts.

Have a Ruger m77 with a benchmark barrel on it and it one of my most accurate rifles. Clip space is limited a bit.

also very interested in the following
https://www.americanrifle.com/
Remington footprint for the action but like the action.
Cheers

The new "classic" M70s are just like the pre 64s.
The only issue with the new Model 70 compared to the pre-64 is the 2 piece bolt/handle. The pre-64 is a one piece design. All post 64's, including the CRF model have the bolt handle press fit to the bolt body with a serrated sleeve. These have been known to slip/fail with heavy use rendering the bolt inoperable. While this failure may be rare, for use with dangerous game it is recommended that the sleeve be spot welded to the bolt body by a gunsmith to insure its integrity. This was surely the case with the Hartford models. I'm uncertain whether this was addressed with the more current models since Winchester was acquired.

Bighorn TL3's are great actions but not needed for the type of use a 375 Ruger is best suited for. You don't need quarter MOA accuracy for a relatively short range thumper (compared to many rifle cartridges discussed on this site). If this is to be a typical hunting rifle, any of the M77 Ruger Hawkeye, CRF M70 (pre 64 or classic) or a CRF CZ Magnum would work just fine. I'd also pay attention to overall weight/handling of the rifle, decent reliable trigger, good stock most likely bedded to make sure it would handle the recoil well and a durable scope and mounting hardware. Darcy Echols is one of the best and I'd love to have a safe full of his work but it's not necessary. If you have the disposable income and inclination of course go for it:) He builds most of his on M70 Classics. I'd love one of his stocks but they are somewhat unobtanium unless you are buying a complete rifle from him. I remember when his rifles were considered expensive at $7000.

Another point, you don't need a 375 for moose, they go down pretty easy if hit well. I wouldn't hesitate to use the cartridge on moose, just pointing out that is in no way needed.

Montana Rifles makes a pretty smooth action for a factory rifle. I have an X2 in 7mm Rem. Not a fan on the new aluminum bottom metal on the X3 though, color doesn't match the SS barrel and action.I know they chamber for 375 H&H not sure about the Ruger cartridges.
My first semi custom rifle is a Montana 99. They are very different in bolt throw. I'm not sure that I like it yet. It seems possible to bind the action if you over work it. It has a very straight trombone action very different from my Savage, Mauser etc. Time will tell as to whether I develop the muscle memory needed.

My first semi custom rifle is a Montana 99. They are very different in bolt throw. I'm not sure that I like it yet. It seems possible to bind the action if you over work it. It has a very straight trombone action very different from my Savage, Mauser etc. Time will tell as to whether I develop the muscle memory needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.