Best compromise for a do it all rifle

IndianaMatt

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a rifle as soon as I decide what I want or need.

So what are your opinions in a do it all rifle that will consistently shoot around 140 gr bullets out to about 500 - 800 yards. Shoot close to 3000fps. Not weigh as much as a small suv. And have a barrel I won't have to worry about replacing in 500 rounds. Oh and decent availability of brass and dies. Nothing to complicated to load.
Oh one more thing... I like things that are different - outside of the normal 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have a 6.5-284. Although impractical to hunt with or carry I like it. It was built to sit on a bench. I'm worried about barrel life with it.

Maybe a 284Win. You already have cases to form with. Throat to the bullet you want. No doubt it can push a 140 to around 3000fps+ depending on barrel length and barrel life should exceed the 6.5x284 by quite a bit. You're losing a competitive advantage by shooting light, low BC bullets but throated properly you can run the 160s and 180s at a respectable MV and still reap the benefits.

Not sure it has anything over the 280 or 280AI unless you have to have a short action.

This will be a new rifle, I have looked at Cooper, Montana Rifle Co, Kimber, and Nosler. Also thought about getting a Sendero and having some work done to it but that's a different thread.

The 6.5x284 is a perfect solution for everything you named. All you need to do is learn what powders to use under what bullets. Am easy hunting load for accuracy is the Berger 140gr. Hunter VLD filled with H-1000 somewhere around 62.0 grains. 3,000+ fps., cool burning powder, long barrel life (24") and more than a couple of high quality manufacturers of brass.

The real solution is the 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 RSAUM) which uses the same bullet and powder combination for 3,000++ fps. (24") with factory brass. Better performance will come from a slightly longer barrel.

Then there is the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. There is some really good tough brass made and is available through Huntington's. 3,000+ fps easily from standard brass and dies.

Regards.

Question time Matt.

If you buy this X rifle, what is your over all plan with it.

Do you reload, is your plan to target shoot, harvest big game, Varmint hunting, maybe a 30, 30, 30 split or The 50/50.

Are you looking at factory or Wildcat.
What kinda barrel life are you thinking of.
Small, medium, or large case.
Over all yearly budget in ammo so to speak.

Would it be for your general plinking, or are you thinking of FTR, or PRS challange matches.

At least this "could" help narrow your search.

I was 2 years planning my first pick, then about 4 months on the second.
Both rifles I bought are the ones I wanted.

Mid size factory cases, frugal to shoot, long barrel life, 1 for general plinking, Harvesting, and PRS challange. It is my main 80% do it all.

The other is my 98 to 2% FTR unit. Ha.
The 2% is to harvest a Elk with it. Other than that it is full F Class.

I broke things into categories.
Intended use, Over all Usage, Cartrage, caliber, then the brand of rifle, optics.

That way I had things sorted before I went shopping.

The good folks on this awesome forum can help steer you in the right direction, but sharing up intend use, and supposable usage will better your odds.

From Western Canada Don

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.