Best commercial rear bag for hunting ?

Down Under Hunter

Sounds like I'll pass on the monopod idea and settle for a good rear bag.

Just wanted to know which rear bag is best recommended for hunting purposes. I will fill it with those tiny little bean bag beans, polystyrene ? I dont think I can be bothered making one myself as sewing machines and I dont get on !

I have looked at the bald eagle bumblebee bag, but it looks like it has a timber floor, which for hunting would cause me grief on uneven ground. I have not seen any others except the green Caldwell rear bag.

I have never bought a rear bag, so any advice really appreciated.

Many thanks

DUH

I've been tardy with those bullets, correct?? If you'll stand the postage which may be a bit high, I haven't checked yet, could send you a couple of micro bead bags with them.

A couple of them in conjunction with a bag such as this Cabela's -- Rabbit Ear and Bunny Ear Rear Bags - Non-Filled
which would also be filled with micro beads works very well.

Let me know

Roy,

Thanks for your kind offer. Do you mean that you have the bag and beads or me to get the bag and get you to send the beans ? I believe it was a thread of yours that tipped me off about the micro beans that hardly weigh anything ??

Weight is an issue so I really liked the sound off it ?

Appreciate your help as I have never had one before.

DUH

DUH,

The link to the rabbit ear leather rear bag is one that you can get or may already have. Just replace the sand or whatever with micro beads.

The other two mentioned, two different thicknesses I'll just make up and ship with the bullets. They weigh nothing and in combination with the rabbit ear rear bag can fit most elevation requirements up to about 10 or 15 degrees depending on the "lay of the land".

I'll try to get to the post office and determine the postage on the 338 Bullets if you still want them.

Roy

DUH,

The link to the rabbit ear leather rear bag is one that you can get or may already have. Just replace the sand or whatever with micro beads.

The other two mentioned, two different thicknesses I'll just make up and ship with the bullets. They weigh nothing and in combination with the rabbit ear rear bag can fit most elevation requirements up to about 10 or 15 degrees depending on the "lay of the land".

I'll try to get to the post office and determine the postage on the 338 Bullets if you still want them.

Roy

Roy,

Sorry if I seem a little confused, but I'm not sure what 338 bulltets you are refering too ? Could you maybe send me a pm with some pics of the bags you refer to ?

Cheers Roy

DUH

Sounds like I'll pass on the monopod idea and settle for a good rear bag.

Just wanted to know which rear bag is best recommended for hunting purposes. I will fill it with those tiny little bean bag beans, polystyrene ? I dont think I can be bothered making one myself as sewing machines and I dont get on !

I have looked at the bald eagle bumblebee bag, but it looks like it has a timber floor, which for hunting would cause me grief on uneven ground. I have not seen any others except the green Caldwell rear bag.

I have never bought a rear bag, so any advice really appreciated.

Many thanks

DUH

My rolled up bivvy sac (already goes everywhere I go when I'm hunting, so don't need to pack another item) works very well...as well if not better for me than my fancy leather rabbit ear rear bag. For prone shooting off a bipod anyway.

DUH,

Oops!! Got a little confused on the bullet thing:eek:

But I was in the right neck of the woods...:rolleyes:

A rear rabbit ear'd bag already filled with micro beads would be a good thing though.

However, nothing is perfect. Thus the two small flat bags of different thicknesses to compensate for a little up and down......

Rear-Poly-Bags-1.jpg

It doesn't make economic sense to send a couple of these little things down there unless they were piggy backed on something else.

Roy,

Appreciate your efforts. I'll just get the commercial bag you suggest and try and find the beads here I quess ?? For hunting I would not want a bag with a wood bottom piece, and I would prefer a synthetic bag rather than leather as it could get wet all the time.

Whats your best quess ??

Cheers

DUH

That bag isn't what I would suggest. It was just the first one that google truned up.

I's suggest the lightest leather that is findable (if that's a word). Here's a link to one that's only 0.3 lbs.

Getting a synthetic waterproof one is gonna be a real hunt. I just spray the heck out of my with waterproofing stuff. The beanie bags I just let get wet as they dry out rapidly.

Another example (I haven't tried it) but use their front bags.
Caldwell Rear Shooting Bag - Unfilled  - Rugged Sportsman's Online Store

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.