Best cleaners

Has anyone ever see any of the strong copper cleaners dissolve a patch. I may have been trying to use non cotton patches but I thought they were cotton.

What are the best copper and powder cleaners? I picked up a Used 270wsm and the accuracy wasn't up to snuff. I suspected a fouled bore, well I'm on day number 4 of scrubbing and soaking with butch's bore shine and M-pro7. Even letting it soak over night and thru the day while I'm at work! No end in sight. I was starting to wonder if the barrel was cast iron and coming off on my patches. I have finally gotten down to blue patches so I know I'm getting copper now? Any suggestions?
You could give wipe out a try with its accelerator. No elbow grease needed. Use a few patches soaked with wipeout accelerator than spray wipeout foam and let it sit overnight if needed. Repeated until no more blue on patch.
witches brew from Darrel Holland ART is another great product. Required elbow grease. Best of luck

Boretech Carbon first, and then Boretech copper cleaner after. I follow that with Kroil oil after. Some people say Eliminator works, but the Carbon/Copper Boretech combo works better IMO.

What are the best copper and powder cleaners? I picked up a Used 270wsm and the accuracy wasn't up to snuff. I suspected a fouled bore, well I'm on day number 4 of scrubbing and soaking with butch's bore shine and M-pro7. Even letting it soak over night and thru the day while I'm at work! No end in sight. I was starting to wonder if the barrel was cast iron and coming off on my patches. I have finally gotten down to blue patches so I know I'm getting copper now? Any suggestions?
Try the Tubb Final Finish kit. It worked on an old 7.62mm I had a long time ago...

Try the Tubb Final Finish kit. It worked on an old 7.62mm I had a long time ago...
I bought some ammonia from the local Ace hardware and use that on patches for very fouled barrels. I only let it soak for a couple of minutes then follow with a synthetic scrubbing jag and then a patch. I do that until there is no more blue. Just be sure to clean it up well, do not leave the ammonia in or on the barrel. I've only had to do that once but it worked well.

Well shot rifle last night with less than stellar results a couple nice groups then a flier! Cleaned again today then discovered a loose front action screw (I know DUH to me😂). Wasn't quite 1/16 turn loose but loose. Torqued to 60inch pounds. Here's a 4 shot group, 1st Shot is the clean barrel although pitted in the leade. 2-4 in the group below it in the nice ragged hole. I'm happier now although I'll always know the leade is pitted! Load was 130 grain classic hunter Berger, 59 grains Imr4350 Fed 215match primer, seated just off lands!! Thanks for all the recommendations!!!!!

Oops got excited and forgot pic! This group was with a 1/2" heartbeat thanks to 3 cups of THRASHER COFFEE COMPANY Bluebird blend!

Attachments

• 9DC5764F-C526-43F2-AE96-B9C993E36727.jpeg
    9DC5764F-C526-43F2-AE96-B9C993E36727.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
What's this "Bottle of Marriage Counseling Juice"
Oh yea I learned if I wanted any of the adult beverages left to sip on I had to lock it up in my gun room. The my wife came in to visit and asked what the bottle was with all my gun powder. So I told her here meet my marriage counselor! Jameson Irish Whiskey! Of course I then had to share!

Well I fell for it again.... I have most if not all the cleaners mentioned throughout this post. Except the CarbOut... so ordered some from Brownells. Add that to the list of cleaners that do remove powder residue but don't really do anything to tough for lack of better term baked on carbon.
Soaking a half dozen times with Carb Out and then scrubbing with bronze brush got most of the carbon out..... same as Slip2000/ KG 1/ Boretech Eliminator / all the different foams etc.
All work about the same so pick what's available and cheap and get some good brushes.

Thought I'd drill down and add that I did an experiment for a while back as I read that snipers (whatever..) don't clean the copper out just carbon cleaner to avoid needing a "fouling shot". Some of my barrels need 5-6 fouling shots (I think they don't now, all broken in, I was young and think too much.) Aaaaanyway....I punched with bore paste (KG) and then something that didn't remove copper to wipe out the bore paste and voi-frickin'-la, cold clean shot bullsesye. I don't do that anymore as most of mine shoot that way clean now due to break in and lot's of rounds down, but thought it might be fun for people to know, copper isn't necessarily evil. An old timer I was whining to at the range about a new rifle asked me how many rounds I had through it. 60 I said. He screwed up his face and said come back to me when you have 200. He was right.....

Does anyone have any love for Ed'd Red? I'd been doing a soak with that before I do the bronze brush. And then I push my patches with mineral spirits.

I also have a can of Wipe Out on hand but I used it only once so far. I soaked overnight with it after my typical cleaning (described above) and applied a second time which seemed to flush all the blue copper stains out - so I guess it's okay.

Last edited:
I use Ed's Red when I wish to put oil in the bore but Ed's was not intended for removing copper and does not do much to the copper.

There are several versions, which do you like?

I just do the basic - 1 part each of kerosene, auto transmission fluid, mineral spirits and acetone. I don't expect it to do much for copper but I hope it works well for carbon.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.