Best cleaners

Coldfinger

What are the best copper and powder cleaners? I picked up a Used 270wsm and the accuracy wasn't up to snuff. I suspected a fouled bore, well I'm on day number 4 of scrubbing and soaking with butch's bore shine and M-pro7. Even letting it soak over night and thru the day while I'm at work! No end in sight. I was starting to wonder if the barrel was cast iron and coming off on my patches. I have finally gotten down to blue patches so I know I'm getting copper now? Any suggestions?

Sounds like it is toast.....maybe try soaking again with anything and wrap a brush with a good grade steelwool...see if you can break it down some more.....then eyeball it....

Sweets is another one to try, if your not worried about bore damage at this point leave it in there over night. I've had good luck with the Boretech also.

idcwby
I'm not too worried about bore damage right now, it was shooting 3/4" groups at best with handloads. I haven't let it soak in butch's overnight yet but I may tonight. Thanks for the help I may have to send it out and have a 25 sst tube fitted to it. I think I'm subconsciously looking for reasons to but I've never seen a barrel this dirty!!! Think the ammonia based butch's will etch the steel at all if it can even find it?

BoreTech copper remover and eliminator with the Iosso blue nyflex brushes works well for me. How bad is your bore? have you been able to scope it to see what you are dealing with? You never know when a previous owner decided to give it a really good cleaning with a stainless steel brush or erosive solvent or never used a bore guide with their stainless steel cleaning rod. Good luck. I hope it cleans up and the accuracy returns.

I
Sounds like it is toast.....maybe try soaking again with anything and wrap a brush with a good grade steelwool...see if you can break it down some more.....then eyeball it....
i could feel a rough spot about the throat area to maybe an inch further down the barrel. Now that I'm not getting the wicked black carbon powder fouling, could that have been the dreaded carbon ring I've read about? Never seen one before but it felt just like an o-ring or 2 in the throat area. It's finally cleaned up now but still making patches look like blue cool aide!

BoreTech copper remover and eliminator with the Iosso blue nyflex brushes works well for me. How bad is your bore? have you been able to scope it to see what you are dealing with? You never know when a previous owner decided to give it a really good cleaning with a stainless steel brush or erosive solvent or never used a bore guide with their stainless steel cleaning rod. Good luck. I hope it cleans up and the accuracy returns.
When I started it felt like an old 303 British I have that felt like 80 grit sandpaper. It's coming along and smooth now. I have no access to borescope. I think it had horrible carbon build up in the throat and first inch of barrel actually felt like an o-ring I was going thru in the throat. Finally got that smoothed out. Never seen that before I mean felt it.

Not a good pic phone wouldn't focus on crown but I see tool chatter on the shiny chamfered edge! The blue dots are the lands. I only see 4 supposed to be a Kreiger barrel? I have no clue.

Attachments

• 1F78CB69-98AF-419F-A46B-7449CC1BCBCE.jpeg
    1F78CB69-98AF-419F-A46B-7449CC1BCBCE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 784
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.