Best cleaners

What are the best copper and powder cleaners? I picked up a Used 270wsm and the accuracy wasn't up to snuff. I suspected a fouled bore, well I'm on day number 4 of scrubbing and soaking with butch's bore shine and M-pro7. Even letting it soak over night and thru the day while I'm at work! No end in sight. I was starting to wonder if the barrel was cast iron and coming off on my patches. I have finally gotten down to blue patches so I know I'm getting copper now? Any suggestions?
JB Bore Brite

I would still fill a tight nylon brush full JB Bore paste and run a drill in there for a long time......good learning experience....get the barrel opened up and shiny....then work the rifling....
Drill with an old cleaning rod.....just scrub the hell out of it....
If it was an '06 I wouldn't care.....but it's a 270....
Gittr dun.....

I've been using KG solvents ever since reading some articles summarizing their cleaning efficiency.

Here's a link to one that provides a table listing the amount of copper removed under controlled test conditions: https://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

Here's another testimonial: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gear-review-kg-industries-solvents/

Amazing products. I do keep some JB Bore Paste and Kroil on hand but use that sparingly. Always concerned about getting too aggressive with a lapping compound!!

Statement from their webpage:
KG-12 was originally developed to clean the copper fouling from large bore military weapons. KG-12 provides professional shooters, gunsmiths, armorers, hunters and other firearm enthusiasts with a product that will remove the toughest copper fouling without damaging the bore. Unlike ammonia-based products, there is no need to neutralize KG-12 or to remove it quickly because KG-12 contains no ammonia. There is no better copper remover out there!

All the other products are too much work, stink and mess.

An FN action Kreiger barrel McMillan stock I guess I was hoping for too much.
All is not lost yet unless that really is pitting in which case you have a very nice medium range rifle awaiting a new barrel. Scrub with your fingers crossed or find a bore scope and save that exercise for better more fun things. 😉

try accelerator plus wipeout just run a patch off accel threw bore then spray wipeout dont spray to hard or will go everwhere wait 12/24 hours then run patches till clean have 3 custom guns an thats all oi use a gunsmith told me about this an was spot on a freind of mine cleaned his barrel said it was clean let him take it home antried it said will use this now up to u

All is not lost yet unless that really is pitting in which case you have a very nice medium range rifle awaiting a new barrel. Scrub with your fingers crossed or find a bore scope and save that exercise for better more fun things. 😉
That's what I figured I was gonna shoot it tonight but a bit windy, it's at least a good platform to start from I like them CRF actions. I don't know why Winchester and FN had to complicate it by adding a coned breech and extractor groove!

Boretech eliminator is a great all purpose cleaner for carbon and copper. They also offer a straight up copper solution as well as a carbon. They are non toxic and non corrosive. Great stuff, all I use anymore......

I will second this one. It's all I use too. I have also in the past had good results with gunslick foaming bore cleaner which dissolved powder and copper fouling.

All Great advice . I have never tried it yet, but many bench rest shooters I know use Witches Brew . On average they clean their bores every 10 to 15 shots. I use Butch's on my Hunting rifles. Average range session is 20 to 25 rounds, shooting Nosler 130 Grn. Ballistic Tips ,then come home and clean the bore. When cleaning my Weatherby ultralight , ( 270 Win ) with stainless Krieger Barrel, I haver never seen the Green Blue of copper on the patches , just black carbon on the patches . I have read that too much cleaning, can ruin a bore. Perhaps I need a different /additional cleaner???? I appreciate the guidance. Thanks Guys.

Last edited:
I've been using KG solvents ever since reading some articles summarizing their cleaning efficiency.

Here's a link to one that provides a table listing the amount of copper removed under controlled test conditions: https://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

Here's another testimonial: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gear-review-kg-industries-solvents/

Amazing products. I do keep some JB Bore Paste and Kroil on hand but use that sparingly. Always concerned about getting too aggressive with a lapping compound!!

Statement from their webpage:
KG-12 was originally developed to clean the copper fouling from large bore military weapons. KG-12 provides professional shooters, gunsmiths, armorers, hunters and other firearm enthusiasts with a product that will remove the toughest copper fouling without damaging the bore. Unlike ammonia-based products, there is no need to neutralize KG-12 or to remove it quickly because KG-12 contains no ammonia. There is no better copper remover out there!

All the other products are too much work, stink and mess.

Holy cow. After going to the study link there is no reason to waste time with all the other stuff.. Thanks for the tip.

KG-1 & KG-12 is the answer. As has been stated, the stuff is magic. Never seen anything remove copper like KG-12. Carbon dissolves quickly with KG-1 Vapors will not kill you either. Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.