Best Chambering Reamers ??

elkaholic

A question for some of you gunsmiths out there. I have been using PTG reamers for a while but recently ordered a couple from JGS because I heard that they were better. They are more spendy, but maybe not in the long run! What do you think of Clymers or are there some others out there that you would recommend?...thanks/Rich

I like Manson and JGS. Not had any problems with Clymer, either. I've had serious problems with PT&G and not so good customer service from them. Excellent customer service from Manson and JGS.

I like Manson and JGS. Not had any problems with Clymer, either. I've had serious problems with PT&G and not so good customer service from them. Excellent customer service from Manson and JGS.

Thanks Shortgrass! I could tell you some horror stories in private!:D......Rich

I have reamers from all of them discussed and the Manson reamers I have cut the best but JGS is a close second. I've cut more chambers per reamer on the Clymers and several have 12-15 chambers and are still cutting good. One thing you'll notice with the older Clymers is they rarely cut on more than one or two flutes. On the JGS and Mansons they typically cut on 5 or 6 flutes (not always equally but they cut). PTG has been all over the map. We have some reamers that have only cut 2-3 chambers and will basically not cut after running it in over half way. A few have been back to PTG and they said they were fine but they still don't cut. I've heard from others that this is fairly common and have to be sharpened by some one else to fix the problem. A friend has a 6.5Saum reamer on order from PTG but I think my next reamer will be from JGS again. The last one took 5 weeks on a 6 week quote. The last PTG took 9 weeks on a 5-6 week quoted time. If Manson's times get that fast I would order from them in a heartbeat.

I have reamers from all of them discussed and the Manson reamers I have cut the best but JGS is a close second. I've cut more chambers per reamer on the Clymers and several have 12-15 chambers and are still cutting good. One thing you'll notice with the older Clymers is they rarely cut on more than one or two flutes. On the JGS and Mansons they typically cut on 5 or 6 flutes (not always equally but they cut). PTG has been all over the map. We have some reamers that have only cut 2-3 chambers and will basically not cut after running it in over half way. A few have been back to PTG and they said they were fine but they still don't cut. I've heard from others that this is fairly common and have to be sharpened by some one else to fix the problem. A friend has a 6.5Saum reamer on order from PTG but I think my next reamer will be from JGS again. The last one took 5 weeks on a 6 week quote. The last PTG took 9 weeks on a 5-6 week quoted time. If Manson's times get that fast I would order from them in a heartbeat.

I just ordered a couple of reamers from JGS and plan on another soon. I found out that it would cost me more to sharpen the PTG (from JGS) than what I paid for it at PTG!! (and it would still be a PTG reamer). How do Clymer and Manson compare price wise?.............Rich

I just ordered a couple of reamers from JGS and plan on another soon. I found out that it would cost me more to sharpen the PTG (from JGS) than what I paid for it at PTG!! (and it would still be a PTG reamer). How do Clymer and Manson compare price wise?.............Rich

My number one choice is the Manson reamers Simply because of the way they are sharpened
and the way they cut. I have had good reamer life from all of them. I have lots of Clymer reamers
and have had good luck with them.

The only problem I have had with the PT&G reamers is finding the best speed (RPM) to run them.
I do not believe in polishing a chamber and expect the reamer to cut the right finish. the Manson cut well at any speed. I have found some of the other brands are speed sensitive and require finding the best speed to run them to get the finish I want.

The PT&G reamers are normally the cheapest and the Manson's and Clymer's a little higher. The JGS reamers are the highest Price. Dave Kiff is very knowledgeable and has been very helpful
in the past when I could speak to him, but his staff/help are hard to deal with sometimes.

I normally look for best delivery dates for the top reamers and If they are all long delivery I just order the Manson's (He builds all of my wildcat Reamers without exception).

This is just my opinion and like everyone else I have my favorites.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for all the help guys. This pretty much falls in line with my experience with PTG. I may give Clymer a try too if they don't have too long a turn around..........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.