best case lube?

Scottielp503

What does everyone prefer? My reloader kit came with the hornady spray and I have had bad luck with cases getting stuck with it. Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds. Are there any cheap alternatives thats not actual case lube?

What does everyone prefer? My reloader kit came with the hornady spray and I have had bad luck with cases getting stuck with it. Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds. Are there any cheap alternatives thats not actual case lube?

Don't use the that spray stuff my 30-06 case got stuck too!!!! Never did get the case out. I went back to the RCBS lube with their pad.

Mike

buy a couple tins of Imperial Die Sizing Wax, and be done with it. That's enough to do at least a thousand cases if not more, and there's still nothing better.
gary

I use One Shot for 223 and 6mmAr cases successfully, but the larger cases are guarenteed to stick in the dye. I have had similar sticking on occasion with Imperial wax with large cases. I lije it for neck sizing. RCBS lube with a pad, which I have used for 40 years, is still my favorite for 308 and larger cases.

I agree with RCBS lube & pad.
I had a die/chamber mismatch once that led to stuck cases. Before resolving with a custom die, I tried many case lubes, and wax.
Wax was the worst, followed by sprays.
RCBS case lube solved all but the root cause of my problem. No stuck cases with it.

It's also an excellent cleaner. A few drops in your tumbling medium improves cleaning, and you can wipe carbon off necks with it.
I don't roll cases on the pad, but squish a little into a pad and swipe fingers across it to hand apply lube. With this, I can obtain shoulder bumps with no more than 1/2thou total spread on 1thou target.
Consistent lube is crucial to consistent shoulder bumping.

"Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds."

Sounds like you're trying to size while the spray is wet. Have you read the directions?

Most noobs are careful to lube the upper case and necks where not much lube is needed and neglect the lower case which is where they get stuck.

Any commercial lube works fine if it's properly applied. Neutral shoe wax works good too - neutral won't stain your fingers. I find finger tip applied KIWI brand shoe wax works fine, KIWI Mink Oil or Snow-Seal boot treatment is even better. Touch your fingers to the wax, rub them together and then rub a thin film completly over each case when you pick it up for sizing.

A stuck case is easily removed with a common and inexpensive stuck case remover kit.

"Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds."

Sounds like you're trying to size while the spray is wet. Have you read the directions?

Most noobs are careful to lube the upper case and necks where not much lube is needed and neglect the lower case which is where they get stuck.

Any commercial lube works fine if it's properly applied. Neutral shoe wax works good too - neutral won't stain your fingers. I find finger tip applied KIWI brand shoe wax works fine, KIWI Mink Oil or Snow-Seal boot treatment is even better. Touch your fingers to the wax, rub them together and then rub a thin film completly over each case when you pick it up for sizing.

A stuck case is easily removed with a common and inexpensive stuck case remover kit.

Absolutely read the instructions on One Shot, stay the whole case, let it dry, size, and get the stuck cars remover ready for action.

Absolutely read the instructions on One Shot, stay the whole case, let it dry, size, and get the stuck cars remover ready for action.

Me too. I had absolutely no luck with One Shot. I did get real good at removing suck cases.

I'm a believer in Imperial Sizing Wax. Just for fun, I ran a 30-06 through a 308 die just to test the was. Felt like any other re-size, nice and easy. Although- very funny looking.

Imperial Die Wax or Hornady's "Unique"

I've used Imperial for years without a problem. About a year and a half ago I ran out of Imperial and bought a tub of Unique as a hold over until I found more Imperial. To my surprise, Unique works just as well.

As for one shot, just as others have said, "read the directions." I don't use it because I'm not good at taking, asking for, much less following directions. :D

+ Hornady Unique. Just as good as Imperial, but costs less and you get three times as much in a tub.

I too have used the RCBS lube w/pad for numerous years. A couple years back I ran across a old can of Fiebing's Blended Silicone & Lanolin. It's actually spray on Saddle Oil. It works amazingly!
Not sure if it is still produced but I will check in to it, or another similar mixture, when this can starts running out.
I lighlty spray the pad, lay the cases on it and roll. If too much is applied or I don't wipe off the excess from the neck/shoulder area before running into the die, I get the typical ripples in the shoulder area. Typical of too much lube.
Works great for me though.
JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.