best case lube?

I'm using RCBS spritz lube. It's working great. Lay 5 or 6 cases flat on newspaper and spray a few times with a sweeping motion and roll them 180 degrees to get the other side.

At one time, One Shot was working but the last three cans I bought were all bad.

I went with the wax....saves much mess too..!

the real trick with using wax is to learn how little you really need to get the job done! Plus nothing works better for heavy case forming. But! For neck sizing with a bushing die made by Wilson, I have been using powdered graphite for about ten years running.
gary

I use One Shot for 223 and 6mmAr cases successfully, but the larger cases are guarenteed to stick in the dye. I have had similar sticking on occasion with Imperial wax with large cases. I lije it for neck sizing. RCBS lube with a pad, which I have used for 40 years, is still my favorite for 308 and larger cases.

I use a very slight bit of wax on the case necks and shoulders, but with the first five or six case I will wipe the wax all the way down to about 3/4 of the case body. After that I only do shoulders and necks (about 1/8" past the shoulders is plenty. If the cases start to get tight or show more pressure on extraction I will lube the sizing ball again, and will usually do that every fifth round.

Royal Purple works pretty good, and Marvels Mystery Lube will too. I tend to think most of us are using too much lube as much as some are not using enough.
gary

"Seems like it goes from being slick to sticky in just a few seconds."

Sounds like you're trying to size while the spray is wet. Have you read the directions?

Most noobs are careful to lube the upper case and necks where not much lube is needed and neglect the lower case which is where they get stuck.

Any commercial lube works fine if it's properly applied. Neutral shoe wax works good too - neutral won't stain your fingers. I find finger tip applied KIWI brand shoe wax works fine, KIWI Mink Oil or Snow-Seal boot treatment is even better. Touch your fingers to the wax, rub them together and then rub a thin film completly over each case when you pick it up for sizing.

A stuck case is easily removed with a common and inexpensive stuck case remover kit.

an old man I worked with for years used strait bees wax, and I have used commercial grade "press wax" to do some serious case forming in the past. Don't know where to buy that stuff anymore, or I'd have some. I've noticed thru the years that the lube tends to migrate south in the die as you run cases thru the press. After five or six round I only lube the shoulders and neck OD's. A stuck case is an extremely rare event for me, and I think the last time I had one was well over seven years ago, and that was Hornaday spray.

gary

Me too. I had absolutely no luck with One Shot. I did get real good at removing suck cases.

I'm a believer in Imperial Sizing Wax. Just for fun, I ran a 30-06 through a 308 die just to test the was. Felt like any other re-size, nice and easy. Although- very funny looking.

welcome to the world of case forming!
gary

I've used one shot for years on everything from a 17rem to a 338rum and have never had a stuck case. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

"I'm a believer in Imperial Sizing Wax. Just for fun, I ran a 30-06 through a 308 die just to test the was. Felt like any other re-size, nice and easy. Although- very funny looking."

It's that truth that makes me want to roll on the floor laffing when some web 'expert' tells a noob the reason he's having difficulty FL sizing little 5.53 cases to throw them away because they were fired in a machine gun and can't be sized beck to original dimensions!

"One thing I know for certain about stuck cases, if you stick one you did not use enough lube regardless of the brand. follow the 2% rule ;) "

Absolutely. All of the wild web guesses about why cases get stuck, from case or die brand, brand of press, which way the wind's blowing, failure to lube INSIDE the necks, etc, matter not, cases stick for ONE reason; insufficent lube, usually on the lower, thicker part of the cases; most everyone puts plenty (or too much) on the upper part.

With 1Shot it's usually because the user failed to shake the spray can before use and/or didn't allow time for the carrier to evaporate and/or failed to run the first case lightly into a totally clean die before the first sizing effort.

Funniest story I've read about case lube is one guy saying an RCBS tech told him not to use Imperial or any other wax lube in their dies because the wax gets thick and rubbery so the cases are effectively glued in! Goodness...:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.