Best Camo

tommyc279

Lately have find myself searching for the best camo for predator hunting. I don't want to go to a true ghillie suit, but something that hides almost as well. I am looking for good quality clothing that is durable, quiet, and makes me invisible. If any one has any suggestion or experience with what my work please point me in the right direction

I don't think you need much in the way of camo for predators. Most, if not all, can't see colors. You do need to break up your outline and keep movement to a minimum. They can spot a blink or a twitch at a long distance but can't see blaze orange a few feet away. They can also smell a gnat fart at least mile away so cover your scent.

What are you trying to blend into? If I use camo, I use a camo with sagebrush on it and just a jacket and maybe my hat. I hate face masks as they do more to block your view than help conceal. Some of the best predator caller I know don't use a stitch of camo.

One time when trying out a new call for the first time, I called in 4 coyotes at one time to within 80 yds. I was sitting on a bare hillside that wouldn't hide a coffee cup. There were two of us there, we were both wearing blue jeans and flanel shirts and baseball caps.

I believe that you can probably call in predators wearing a Santa Clause Suit.

The important things are keeping your movement down, sitting in the shade if at all possible. At least try to keep the sun behind you (not glaring/shining off your gun,face,fingernails,watch, calls, binos, ect). Having a rock or brush behind you and a little something low and in front of you helps alot to break up any outline they may see too. Sit low enough that you don't appear to be on the skyline to the predator approaching from below you.

Location and how you handle the situation when the coyotes show up will make or break the coyote callers success. Getting within range of coyotes ears without being detected/spotted is more critical than what color or brand of camo you choose. Setting up where the coyotes have to "show" themselves in order to smell or see you is more critical than the brand of call you decide to buy. Handle the situation effectively; remaining calm, patient, stealthy and making every shot count is more critical than the caliber you choose to use.

But none of this means a **** if we're calling in areas where there aren't any coyotes at the time, or if someone else was calling/shooting in the same area very recently, and the coyotes have been educated to avoid the sounds of calls.

Didn't mean to get off the subject of your question, but my point is to pick something you are comfortable in. There is no need to become invisible unless you simply want to, and no ONE camo pattern works everywhere anyway.

Good Luck to you and all in your predator pursuits.

Last edited:
I've had great sucsess useing that leafy wear suit from cabelas, it's $100 or so, I dont know where ya live, but here in Az. its warm most of the time and this suit is like a mesh, the breeze blows through it, or you can wear camo stuff under it, whatever the weather is like, it seems to be good. super lightweight, check it out.

while there are all kinds of camo that will come close to blending in the area you are hunting...the only real true answer is the one you dont want to hear.

Camo that is modular and can adapt to a couple different environments is the best and that's purdy undeniable. If you cant add or remove something then it isnt going to maximize its potential.

As for predators not seeing you in blue jeans and solid colors? That's just flat out ridiculous weather they see in b&w or not. If you're calling in coyotes with gear like that, they are "call virgins" or haven't been shot at before and most of us don't have the luxury of hunting critters like that.

If you hunt critters that have been hunted, called or just flat out shot at before, do yourself a favor and go invisible. If you don't think a snow ghillie has a place in predator hunting...I invite you to visit a thread i started elsewhere and see for yourself.

If you find a camo that matches your environment...by all means, use it...if not, GO GHILLIE and enjoy.

YouTube - Arctic Snow Ghillie - Field Test

WOW, I have to admit that CBASS's video is really impressive. Couldn't see him untill he moved in most of it. I also have to agree with him that the Ghillie Suit is really the only way to TRULY blend into any backdrop in any terrain. If we really want to be invisible, Ghillie is the way to go. I agree that they do have a place in predator hunting, if a person so desires to use them. I personally don't know how to make one, and I'd probably have to have 5 or 6 to cover all the terrain types that I hunt in.

Sounds like CBASS is calling what I said earlier "Ridiculous"??
He's certainly entitled to his opinion, everybody's got one.

As impressive as his video is, I still don't believe that one is NECESSARY to successfully hunt predators. But if you want one, more power to you.

Now I'll explain what my earlier advice was based on:
I've called in and killed litterally 100's of coyotes in the last 20 years of very serious coyote hunting (some professionally). Yes, I wear some sort of camo most of the time but it never truly matches the backdrop everywhere.

I've managed to call in and kill alot of really old coyotes (so old that they didn't hardly have any teeth left, canines were virtually gone). Alot of my coyotes have been taken on public land in areas where alot of people go to hunt them. I gaurantee you that these "old dogs" ARE NOT "call virgins". It has been my experience that camo is often over rated. I am not saying it doesn't help, just saying that going invisible isn't necessary for success. If you want to go invisible.....do it by all means, it certainly can't hurt.

Good Luck once again

Last edited:
This is me in my Gillie out in MT a few years ago.

mtana.jpg

But we took these in one night wearing jeans and Camo shirts.

5coyotesbadgerand1fox.jpg

Take your (or a neighbor's ) dog out in the woods and play hide and seek with him. If you stand still with a little brush to break your outline, the dog will never see you even if you are wearing blaze orange. Works the same with Coyotes .

The best camo is NOT moving, seriously. If you have to move, keep your arms and hands inside of your body silloutte, move slowly, twist your head, don't tilt it, keep you movements small.

The best pattern depends on what terrain you are in and how far away the coyote is (as in larger patterns work best for long range camo, printed patterns work better up close). One thing I do believe is that if you're not blending in, which happens sometimes, you are going to look like a large out-of-place 'blob'. For that reason I prefer not to wear all one pattern, but mix it up with a few different patterns; that way hopefully only part of me stands out, making me a 'smaller' out of place 'blob'. I have had a coyote catch me moving, stare me down, then come charging in as if I where another coyote.

Here are some of my favorite patterns:

- Mossy Oak Brush
- Kings Desert Shadow
- 3D Open Country
- 3D Open Country Snow
- Columbia's wool snow camo

I usually keep a variety in my truck and change as necessary. Also some article I read on a coyotes vision said M2D was the best.

+1 for what Rymart said!!!

The idea is to break the "blob" Especially when or if we are covering alot of open/flat country between the vehicle and the calling/hunting area. Where I live and hunt, the snow is light and patchy right now. The best leafy or ghillie suit there is won't conceal a white "blob" walking through a dark grey sagebrush background. The best forest camo won't help us when we're trying to sneak through a yellow, wheat grass colored field. We usually encounter multiple backgrounds on our way into a stand this time of year.

When you are sitting or laying in one spot, the camo isn't nearly as important as when you have to move or walk through the area. In open country, getting to the spot without getting busted is more important than being invisible once you get there.

Last edited:
How on earth did our predecessors mange to hunt without all the scent sprays and specialized clothing? I'm not against the new technologies we enjoy, but it is possible to hunt successfully without all the dodads and camo gear on the market today.

How on earth did our predecessors mange to hunt without all the scent sprays and specialized clothing? I'm not against the new technologies we enjoy, but it is possible to hunt successfully without all the dodads and camo gear on the market today.

gotta remember that critters most likely weren't neer as keen to the "hunter" or "human" presence. native americans stalking a deer in the open country 200 years ago, VERY TOUGH. Staking a buffalo in the open country...MUCH easier.
I have no basis for any of this, but i would think that back in the day, critters didnt see people as so much of a threat and hence, weren't as sketchy in our presence. not only that...but the smell of a person living in the wild, could quite possibly smell much less threatening than todays old spice and burrito farts.

I feel camo is essential . It helps me get into the mind set of the hunt. What I don't like about it is that - feeling like a fool when come home empty handed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.