Best caller?

Never had them freeze up any worse than a goose call. I hunt in the snow quite often, and always just keep the lanyards n calls tucked inside my jacket. I carry several different calls when out so I`m usually gtg in that respect. But yes I have had them freeze on rare occasions. I also keep a couple diaphragm calls in my pocket. I get the elevation thing, but my house is at 3500 lol.

True story, I carry 3 or 4 all the time, pretty easy to put in the pocket inside the vest if I'm worried about warmth. I always carry at least one closed reed as well.

Also see E calls have issues as well a fair ways off from the truck and they're a heck of a lot more to tote than a mouth call.

One takes there pics and goes with it.

Best thing to a remote is sticking a robo bunny or something out there and having El Bun watch it instead of looking right at me...

Lots to learn! Been researching and my next question is, do the little decoys that move around on the caller really help? We had two coyotes hang up about 300 yds just watching the caller, had to wonder if we had one would they have come in…..
I believe they may help. I use a full sized yote decoy. I changed the phony tail out to one from a real dog. It looks better but mainly the wind/breeze make it move.

Often when they hang up that far out it's the amount of volume you have on your call . I live at 4500 feet and often work at up to 8000 feet I like most others over the years learned to keep them inside my coat when not in use and keep them in my hand while calling even the closed reed calls don't freeze up that way .

Often when they hang up that far out it's the amount of volume you have on your call . I live at 4500 feet and often work at up to 8000 feet I like most others over the years learned to keep them inside my coat when not in use and keep them in my hand while calling even the closed reed calls don't freeze up that way .
I agree on the volume. Their hearing is undeniable. (just watch one mouse in the deep snow) I have kissed them in from well past 200 yds

So, If they are hanging up, the caller is to loud? If you guys see one way out, do you turn the volume down?
My experience has been if they are hanging up, they are usually educated dogs that have been shot at before, they are leery. If you have been playing lightning jack or another rabbit sound, you might be able to coax them in with a pup in distress or vol squeaks. Nothing wrong with switching it up.

Seems like I have had a lot less hang ups with hand calls because they sound unique.

My experience has been if they are hanging up, they are usually educated dogs that have been shot at before, they are leery. If you have been playing lightning jack or another rabbit sound, you might be able to coax them in with a pup in distress or vol squeaks. Nothing wrong with switching it up.

Seems like I have had a lot less hang ups with hand calls because they sound unique.
Yes, and I can control volume better too I feel. Sometimes the educated ones will come to me kissing at them, and sometimes I just go silent. Especially with the decoy out in front of me about 50 yds. Also when they come in in pairs, after shooting the first one I have brought the second one back for a shot with a Ki Yi like a hurt dog (howler). Has worked well for me anyway. If your in an are that gets called heavy they wise up pretty quick.

Mark Salavinski , I don't know how you set up and use your call I myself don't start out with a lot of volume , run it for several minutes 15-20 with a lower volume then if I haven't seen anything moving I will crank it up for maybe a minute then back down to the lower setting . To figure out where I want to set my volume in the first place have your partner wait for you to get out a couple of hundred yards from the call and then slowly turn the volume up till you can barely hear it and that's the setting I like to use just barely enough for me to hear at a couple of hundred yards . . Use the person with the best hearing I've only met one deaf coyote that I was sure was deaf the rest of them had way better hearing then I do . When I use my hand calls I don't call all of the time I make a series of sounds and stop for a couple of minutes . I use a bare hand to work my call and the call and hand go in my coat pocket when I'm not making sounds . Gloves change the sound of the call , they deaden the sound . I like to set in some shade even in the winter to help mask my movements and allow me to see out into the sun better it's kind of like a sniper setting up back in a room from a window instead of close to it or not setting up with the sky in back of you . All of my movements are made slowly , watch a cat move and stalk something , that's why some people call it the art of calling it's a bunch of learned habits you take to the field with you as you go out to hunt animals that make a living hunting others .

Mark Salavinski , I don't know how you set up and use your call I myself don't start out with a lot of volume , run it for several minutes 15-20 with a lower volume then if I haven't seen anything moving I will crank it up for maybe a minute then back down to the lower setting . To figure out where I want to set my volume in the first place have your partner wait for you to get out a couple of hundred yards from the call and then slowly turn the volume up till you can barely hear it and that's the setting I like to use just barely enough for me to hear at a couple of hundred yards . . Use the person with the best hearing I've only met one deaf coyote that I was sure was deaf the rest of them had way better hearing then I do . When I use my hand calls I don't call all of the time I make a series of sounds and stop for a couple of minutes . I use a bare hand to work my call and the call and hand go in my coat pocket when I'm not making sounds . Gloves change the sound of the call , they deaden the sound . I like to set in some shade even in the winter to help mask my movements and allow me to see out into the sun better it's kind of like a sniper setting up back in a room from a window instead of close to it or not setting up with the sky in back of you . All of my movements are made slowly , watch a cat move and stalk something , that's why some people call it the art of calling it's a bunch of learned habits you take to the field with you as you go out to hunt animals that make a living hunting others .
👆👆👆

On the decoy question: I think it causes smart/educated coyotes to hang up. If they can see it clearly from 300y away, they can just lay there and watch it. Why move any closer if they have the ability to watch it from perceived safety? I shot one last year at 308 yards that was probably never coming any closer. She laid there for a while, maybe 20 minutes just looking at my decoy and her surroundings. In those cases, having the ability to shoot them where they hang up may be more critical than getting them closer. I suspect there are many more of them that never break cover, and never make themselves known to us that come in to our calls, sit a long ways out in observation, and maybe come confirm what they suspected hours after we leave. I've gone back in the snow and seen where coyotes came back after I left a stand and walked around my call location, backtracked my path and investigated the spot I was sitting. I think we all mostly just kill the dumb or desperate. The really smart ones laugh at our attempts, and we never know they were there.

If it's your job to stop coyote that are killing then you will figure out how to get the smart ones . So many times I have seen where coyote won't cross into another coyotes area and just lay out there watching people call . They may just set there for an hour or more if you see them and keep calling because they don't want to enter another coyotes area and get their butt kicked . They will often if you take the time and stop calling then just set to wait them out get up and stealthily make their way into where you are or were they are trespassing and know it . It works both ways in the coyote world . I've watched them mark their boundry lines or just set and watch from the edge of their area then in a day or two moved into their area and had them nearly run over me coming to the call . We have our zones and they do as well they pee and crap to mark a line that is invisible to us but known to them . If you want to check out where other peoples invisible line is take them to lunch set across the table and slowly move the salt and pepper shakers toward them . When you have crossed their line they will with out even realizing it slowly start to move them back your way . The decoy thing is a whole different world that's where dogging comes into play . The dog is a live decoy and works on the coyotes territorial response , it's also a part of their make up and they want to protect their human but they also know that their human will protect them so they naturally come back toward their human . There are some interesting youtube videos about dogging coyote for those of you that like to watch other people do things . Some of these guys are good and some are like so many others out there they are just out having fun and aren't making their living at it other then as a showing

Last edited:
My friend bought an electronic caller for coyotes. He lives on a lake. That night he put the caller out on his deck over-looking the lake and turned it on with a cat being attacked by a coyote call. After about 5 minutes, he hears a ladies voice yell out from across the bay, "In the name of God, someone help that cat!!!"...