Best Caliber Rifle Elk

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Welcome to the group! You don't mention if you are wanting factory, or you handload and are looking to build. If factory I would say 300 WSM. If you are doing a build, don't over look the 338-06. You can closely duplicate 300 Win Mag ballistics with 10% larger and 5% heavier .338 185gr bullets, all with less powder which equals less recoil. My 338-06 on a Win 70 Fwt with factory contour 24" Pac Nor bbl. I'm getting 2800fps with 200gr Hornady SST. Sub 1" groups at a 100yds. Personally, I want the confidence to shoot long range, but want a bullet that will perform at closer range. I can hit clay pigeons at 450 yds, not to interested in packing deer or elk out of western Oregon canyons much further than that. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum. I used to hate these questions when I was on another forum. It's all subjective and there is no wrong answer. As stated a few times it comes down to personal preferences. Go shopping and find a rifle that you like to handle and can afford. You have some time, so don't jump in with the first one you play with.

Good luck on your hunt!

I like to be a bit lighter that the magnums. I would be thinking 6.5PRC, 270 win, 7-08, 280ai, 7 Rem mag, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 WSM.

308 & 30-06 offer wider variety of loaded rounds at better price than the rest.

Deer would be fine with your 6.5 Creed.

Recent Posts