Best caliber for shooting 500 to 2000 yds?

Well the 300 gr berger seems to be just Fine for all my 338's out to 1244 yards so far on a Elk !
I have a question. What do you use to put ammo in for a 338 since they are so long?
Looking for something sleek maybe hold 20 rounds or less that I can stick in my pack but yet protect Bullets and their tips.

I just use a old stock slip on ammo holder and wrap a cloth around it . Slip it in my top bag on my Eberlestock pack .
When I shoot my Elk the cloth gives me a wash rag also ! I'm just a simple guy dont need all the fancy stuff ! Ha ha
My good buddy told me once ..less is more ..I still believe him ! Lol

Rum Man

I just use a old stock slip on ammo holder and wrap a cloth around it . Slip it in my top bag on my Eberlestock pack .
When I shoot my Elk the cloth gives me a wash rag also ! I'm just a simple guy dont need all the fancy stuff ! Ha ha

Rum Man
Ok
I agree sometimes you don't need all the gadgets.

Shooting steel and shooting something that is alive are two different things I have made shots at 1725 meters on live things but that was a long time ago, 30 cal. is by far the best. there are so many things that enter into the picture in the mountains tempters, at least two wind directions or more, elevation, uphill or down hill, updrafts and down drafts, the most important is your concentration and mental. For hunting stay at under 1000 m. On steel go as far as you can see.

Rum Man
I ended up making one. I found a clear plastic Plano fishing lure box divider and cut the divider out and lined it with foam. It works beautifully. Cases don't move or rattle.

That's one unusual looking Ballistic Tip bullet. BC has to be horrible for the weight of that bullet. But I'll bet she hits like a train