Best caliber for shooting 500 to 2000 yds?

My choice and reasons! 300 PRC, more than capable at a much cheaper price than any of the 338's, 375's or 416's hands down!
I tend to agree on this one, especially from a cost point. I run .375Ct and .338LM which are both pricey in comparison.

It's IMO pretty close once brass is purchased for the cartridge. That process can be over a time period. My 338 LM is improved so that process can cost a bit more but brass is costly. I've accumulated around 3-400 pieces of quality brass over the years. Powder and primers while cost has increased are fairly cheap by comparison. Just bought 100 pieces of Lapua 300 PRC brass at around 165.00 shipped. Not cheap. Bullets and powder for that vs my 338 LM are very close.

Cheap and 2k just don't go together. The practice alone means burning some powder.

Do you reload? If not a 300wm loaded with a heavy high bc bullet or a 300 prc would get you close.

If you reload which you should to expect to reliably hit targets at 2k then anything which will sling the largest 30 or 33 cal bullets at 2950 fps or better will get the job done. Factor in recoil, action type required for some, brass and die availability to name a few considerations.

There are many cartridges that will attain the goal in a big 30 but IMO the nosler case really hits the sweet spot for 30s.

Were it me, id build a 30-28 nosler at 26-30 inches in a 1:8.5 twist running the 245 bergers or any of the other ICBM type bullets of 230 grains or more.

I got a laugh with your "ICBM type bullets". Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles .
You must have grown-up during the "Cold War era" .

I love your comparison of modern bullets , to the "Ultimate High BC Projectiles".
Makes me want to watch "Dr. Strangelove" again .

DMP25-06

My buddy runs the 300 NM and with any kind of wind gassing even with the heavies, it's tough with even the heavy .308 bullets. Compared to the 300s from a 338, there's a noticeable difference in wind. Ballistics and BC being close, the heavier weight 338 bullets always trump lighter high BC .308 bullets. I get your point tho. Easier to shoot and a little cheaper. I just don't see much difference between a 300 PRC and 338 LM for cost savings. Stepping up to the 375/416 CT, there is a noticeable difference in price.

These are the calibers that I have seen shot to 2000 yards or more that are very accurate. These are all with commercial brass available,
300NM, 338NM, 338LM , 375CT , .408 CT and 416 B all shoot very good out to and passed 2000 yards. I have shot my .338LM to 2616 yards at a match. Then you have the 33xc and 37xc that David Tubbs is making and brass is available for. I don't have any interest if fire forming brass so the wildcat calibers are out for me.
I am able to do a fairly good job at shooting long range BUT i am no expert just someone who has put in the time to learn a little about shooting and what it takes to hit targets at long distances.

I have shot my Surgeon Remedy 338 LM out to 1500 yards with 300 grain Sierra MK's over some H1000. Have been able to get consistent sub-MOA group at 1000 yards and beyond. My brother shoots a custom 300 WSM with 210 Berger's and it is supper accurate 1000 yards on days with little wind. His 300 WSM does do as well beyond 1200 yards though.

since the U.S. military does use the 338 Lapua cartridge i built a custom mountain rifle in a 338 Lapua its easier to find used brass and ammo for and will shoot the distances you need too. plus all rifle ammo manufactures do produce the 338 Lapua ammo also .

since the U.S. military does use the 338 Lapua cartridge i built a custom mountain rifle in a 338 Lapua its easier to find used brass and ammo for and will shoot the distances you need too. plus all rifle ammo manufactures do produce the 338 Lapua ammo also .
One would think so but arguably all brass has been hard to find in the last year or so. If you don't want quality brass, there is brass out there. Most want good brass, especially when shooting the 338 LM at the performance level most want.

i was going to say any big 338 mag will do 2k.

but then you added cheap in your list , now iam thinking any big 30cal mag will get there lolllllll.

heck 30/06 ai, set up right with some freebore and 30/32 inch pipe might work better then most people think, and thats about as cheap as it gets

First of all, you're not going to be shooting anything successfully at 2000 yards cheap! Just the optics, mounts, rangefinder, spotting scope and other necessities needed other than a rifle to enable you to shoot extra long range is not cheap. Maybe you should go to Mark and Sam on YouTube and take a look at what they are using before you decide what caliber of rifle to get but, as one who has shot a target at 2 miles with a 300RUM can tell you pal, it ain't easy and it ain't cheap!

You'd be surprised how well a good 6.5 bullet will make 1500 yards when conditions are ideal for the game. I've even taken my 6mm's out to 1500 fairly easy with 115s in zero wind. 12' groups are pretty common with both at 1500 when ma nature is sleeping. Sure any of the bigger 30 caliber cartridges rock at 2000 yards when the environment is in freeze frame mode. When wind gets gassing, let me know what you think about the 30s. Even the heavy 30s at 2K. You'll wish you had some 300s or heavier to send to that zip code.