Best caliber for shooting 500 to 2000 yds?

I've been shooting my 300WM, 26" 9 twist bartlein, pushing 220gr ELDX at 2858fps out to a mile with great results. Shooting a 20"x20" target. Im in Wyoming so altitude helps a lot and have stayed supersonic to 1763 yards. Working on loads for my new 300PRC pushing 225gr ELDM's between 2938fps and 2968fps. Love me a heavy 30 caliber. My 300WM is my go to hunting rifle.
View attachment 273058
Thats a beauty. I know these guns will do it i just haven't yet myself. And with a few words of advice from someone like yourself to speed up the learning curve a little i know my 308 and my 7RUM will do it too

I know they can do it i just haven't yet myself. That is a good looking rig you have there for it .im prety confident that a little advice from someone experienced in doing the elr as they are calling it these days.i can get there with my guns especially the 7RUM once i get some optics on it but that 308 will too im sure

Attachments

• 20210508_173046.jpg
    20210508_173046.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210508_173803.jpg
    20210508_173803.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
What caliber is going to be the most consistent, easiest, cheapest to target shoot (not hunting) in the 500 to 2000 yds. Range?
Thanks!
I don't mean to sound dismissive but it sounds, from the phrasing if the question, like you don't have much knowledge or experience at long range. No worries, enthusiasm is what we all start with.

Everyone has offered many great tips and suggestions for your max range but I would suggest a different approach. I would suggest you focus your introduction to "learning long range on a budget" to mastering up to 1000yrds. You will do much better, eventually, at 2000 yards if you have more trigger time reading wind, learning proper fundamentals at medium to long ranges. A .223 will teach you that 600 can be a challenge. A 6.5creedmoor is probably your best off the shelf option for cheap/good ammunition to get good trigger time and reach out to reasonable distances. You will learn there is a large difference between 600 and 800 yards and an even bigger difference between 800 and 1000 and so on. Get a .308 if you budget is minuscule as barrel life will be 2-3x tgat of the 6.5 Creedmoor and the "disadvantages" of the .308 will teach you to master the wind calling needed for ELR shooting later.

When you jump from Long Range to ELR you will need to step up in the equipment department as well as refine your ballistic data, get into precision reloading and afford less trigger pulls.
For example: A range finder for Long Range can be had in the $200-400 like a Sig Kilo 2200 but this is not suitable for ELR

last summer I met up with a young guy that invited me to join them shooting long range .they have a 800 - 1600 yard range . when I started shooting with them there was Mike with a 243 . Bill with a 6.5 creedmore . the fella I met Jake , shot a 6.5 PRC and a 6.5 creedmore . His Dad Ed had a 6.5 PRC and a 300 PRC . I shoot a 338 Lapua . I shot with them about 3 weeks , Ed bought a 338 Lapua and sold the 6.5 . Jake sold his 6.5 creedmore . Mike stopped shooting past 1100 or 1200 yards . Bill stopped shooting on a regular basis . to make a long story short , now there's four of us with 338 Lapuas . we have shot at 2050 and 2375 . we should be able to extend this range out to 2 miles or more . it didn't take long for the guys to see bigger is better at long distances .

Jake bought a 338 lapua a week or so ago . the crew is all 338's now .

2000 Yards and Cheap????
Haven't seen that one yet!!
Cheap is a pretty relative term. Like LR. Too some, 800 yards is long while others, 1500 fills that bill. ELR is much pricier than LR shooting if we define the rifles used rather than the range there used at. I can shoot much more for much less using a 300WM or 300 PRC rather than shooting a 375 Cheytac. Both can make ELR ranges but one will definitely break the bank for many. My 338 LM Imp over all is affordable to shoot after the initial brass purchase. Powder, primers and bullets aren't too bad overall. Then there's the "How much do you shoot" question ? Personally I only get out to shoot in cooler weather and only a couple times a week max during those times. If I shoot 100 rounds(ELR) in two range sessions, that's alot. Affordability is something that's manageable for sure. Most people have a budget for shooting. If I only shot ELR, I'd shoot alot more of just that. I actually shoot several other cartridges so managing the cost of this hobby is critical.

The post has got some good discussion going but in my opinion it's like saying which is the best car to buy? There are so many variables into 'that' decision so as to make the question, we'll, dumb. Is the point really to get to distance? Or is the point really to get to distance with the lowest financial expense? Is the point to get to distance with the less recoil on your shoulder? Does one re-load? Can one find the best ammo or re-load materials in this pandemic period with millions of new gun owners? On and on. Do you want style or heft? I love to distance shoot from a bench but don't 'love' heavy recoil, so my choice is an incredible Creedmoor build from Cadex Defence with their proprietary muzzle break and a longish Bartlein barrel. The build was not cheap at all and the ammo (147 grain Hornady Match) was not cheap either.

Best car to drive? I lease an Audi Q5. There is no best. It's best if it fits you and your needs.

Gotta give that to the 338 LM or Improved version. Pushing 300s at 3000 fps, and reasonable comfort shooting itIMO, it's a better option for UP TOO 2K than any other cartridge/ lighter bullet combination.
I shoot 6.5 creed and 6.5 - 284 Norma at long range however if I was trying to get 2 K I would go with a 338 LM as well. At 1k it's hard for me to see where I'm hitting so at that distance it would almost seem impossible.

I don't mean to sound dismissive but it sounds, from the phrasing if the question, like you don't have much knowledge or experience at long range. No worries, enthusiasm is what we all start with.

Everyone has offered many great tips and suggestions for your max range but I would suggest a different approach. I would suggest you focus your introduction to "learning long range on a budget" to mastering up to 1000yrds. You will do much better, eventually, at 2000 yards if you have more trigger time reading wind, learning proper fundamentals at medium to long ranges. A .223 will teach you that 600 can be a challenge. A 6.5creedmoor is probably your best off the shelf option for cheap/good ammunition to get good trigger time and reach out to reasonable distances. You will learn there is a large difference between 600 and 800 yards and an even bigger difference between 800 and 1000 and so on. Get a .308 if you budget is minuscule as barrel life will be 2-3x tgat of the 6.5 Creedmoor and the "disadvantages" of the .308 will teach you to master the wind calling needed for ELR shooting later.

When you jump from Long Range to ELR you will need to step up in the equipment department as well as refine your ballistic data, get into precision reloading and afford less trigger pulls.
For example: A range finder for Long Range can be had in the $200-400 like a Sig Kilo 2200 but this is not suitable for ELR
This is very similar advice I have been given by a friend I met recently who's been shooting PRS matches for a bit. I chose the 6.5CM to get my feet wet out to 1000yds or so. Good ballistics and still decent barrel life and when needed I can look at moving to maybe a 6mm if desired.

416 Barrett but it is more expense than than the small and medium bore calibers by about a a factor of 10.
The advice to start small and work your way up is best. Get good at shooting 500y, then 1000y, 1500, 2000 and so on.

you really need top of the line glass on the rifle and on spotting scopes to learn how to see and call the wind.
Take classes on long range shooting, go to matches etc.
Then there is the reloading component….

it's a long expensive road but it's well worth its.

in my 338 Lapua , I'm shooting 300 grain Bergers at 2939 FPS . we shoot 800 - 1600 from one position , then we move back and shoot the 1600 target from 2375 yards . I'm trying for 2 miles this year . I bought an adjustable mount for more elevation , I haven't shot it yet . I think it's the same mount @Rum Man is using .
Sorry to respond to this post so late since it was posted on Valentines Day 2021. The targets in the pictures look so big!🤔 I'll keep reading the following posts.