Best caliber for Colorado Mule Deer.

I would like to thank all for the great input to my hunt as you can see, I was blessed to harvest a great Mule Deer Buck. The 300 RUM shooting Nosler Accubond 180gr did the trick easily, distance was only 426 yrds so not that stretched for the territory. This is a public draw deer hunt, so I am proof that it can happen if you put in the time and effort to scout. There are great maps these days that make it easy to figure out scouting and hunting strategies. Good luck out there my friends. View attachment 411630View attachment 411631
Beautiful muley!

@NateDBigTex
Congrats on the great buck.
I wrapped up my 34th Colorado season and often get asked this same question by folks with everything from no experience on up.
Not sure if you got to see very many or if you would care to comment, but would like to hear your thoughts.
Just curious... now that you have had an experience with Western Mule Deer hunting... what is your idea of a great caliber from high to low?

@NateDBigTex
Congrats on the great buck.
I wrapped up my 34th Colorado season and often get asked this same question by folks with everything from no experience on up.
Not sure if you got to see very many or if you would care to comment, but would like to hear your thoughts.
Just curious... now that you have had an experience with Western Mule Deer hunting... what is your idea of a great caliber from high to low?
Just by judging what I saw in 3 days of scouting and 7 days of hunting it seems to me that the larger caliber and higher velocity rounds are the way to go. During scouting most higher quality deer where out a stretch between 400-600 yards and depending on glassing advantage very awkward angles for a Texas guy. Now that I have been and fully understand the needs and demands, I believe that the 300 RUM is the perfect gun for the challenge. Seems to me for these deer a round between 150-200gr is plenty as long as you have enough behind it to shot it flat and long if needed. I practiced for weeks preparing to shoot confidently out to 600 and killed my deer at 115 yards, beautiful part of the world and I will be back. Next task is Bull Elk.

Just by judging what I saw in 3 days of scouting and 7 days of hunting it seems to me that the larger caliber and higher velocity rounds are the way to go. During scouting most higher quality deer where out a stretch between 400-600 yards and depending on glassing advantage very awkward angles for a Texas guy. Now that I have been and fully understand the needs and demands, I believe that the 300 RUM is the perfect gun for the challenge. Seems to me for these deer a round between 150-200gr is plenty as long as you have enough behind it to shot it flat and long if needed. I practiced for weeks preparing to shoot confidently out to 600 and killed my deer at 115 yards, beautiful part of the world and I will be back. Next task is Bull Elk.
Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

Western mule deer hunting is an unpredictable task, but that is like saying better be prepared for everything and anything out to 600 yard shots from a hasty position and being able to make the shot in seconds.

Now and then a good deer makes a huge mistake and you get an easy shot, but being prepared is the difference between an ethical clean kill versus a story or a mediaeval torture chase story. The rut can make good deer foolish, but the rest of the time their instincts keep them alive with distance and speed.

For many people, practice with the higher energy calibers is something they will avoid due to the recoil. The challenge is to bring enough gun, but if they won't shoot it well enough to hit the kill zone we end up with wounded escapes.

There are many choices that can deliver a good hunting bullet with enough energy to do the job at 500 - 600 yards, but folks will frown when you discuss what that implies.

If one is not willing to bring enough gun because they cannot handle recoil, there is nothing wrong with limiting your shots to distances you know you, and your caliber choice, can do the animals the honor they deserve.

I hope the folks who are just setting out to select calibers for their first Western hunts do not take offense, but bring enough gun and be prepared or else keep your expectations and shots short. YMMV

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Nice buck, when you say public draw do you mean all of the public can apply? Or do you mean you hunted public land?