Best caliber for Colorado Mule Deer.

Sounds like you're down in that "if they make it out of the sendero and back into the brush we'll never find them" part of our state. Big calibers just make sense down there, and a 300 RUM is obviously more than a match for any deer anywhere.

I'm more curious as to whether the rifle itself is appropriate in your eyes for your hunt. My experience with hunting deer all over Texas is that it's done from a blind, buggy, or stationary position where rifle weight and portability aren't even a slight concern. Is this rifle light enough that you won't mind lugging it around for hours and hours up and down mountains, or do you think you'd be better served packing something lighter around?

I am a South Texas deer hunter and own many caliber of deer rifles, but I am going on a public draw deer hunt in Colorado and need to know what is a good all round caliber for Mule deer. I use a 300 RUM in Texas due to long Sendaro shooting out to about 600 yrds, but want some input for Mule deer in Colorado. I am under the understanding that altitude can effect preformance.
Well, there are no Senderos in CO necessarily, but you can easily get into a long distance shooting situation. As long as you don't mind carrying your RUM it will be way more gun than you'll need. Higher altitude will give you more performance on your ballistics. You should run your numbers with increasing altitude (including the altitude where you are hunting) and see the differences versus where you hunt in Texas. Of course lower air temp will act against bullet flight but you will pick up significant velocity with higher altitude.

Sounds like you're down in that "if they make it out of the sendero and back into the brush we'll never find them" part of our state. Big calibers just make sense down there, and a 300 RUM is obviously more than a match for any deer anywhere.

I'm more curious as to whether the rifle itself is appropriate in your eyes for your hunt. My experience with hunting deer all over Texas is that it's done from a blind, buggy, or stationary position where rifle weight and portability aren't even a slight concern. Is this rifle light enough that you won't mind lugging it around for hours and hours up and down mountains, or do you think you'd be better served packing something lighter around?
Interesting thought, your right i don't even know how much the gun weighs. Thank you.

I am a South Texas deer hunter and own many caliber of deer rifles, but I am going on a public draw deer hunt in Colorado and need to know what is a good all round caliber for Mule deer. I use a 300 RUM in Texas due to long Sendaro shooting out to about 600 yrds, but want some input for Mule deer in Colorado. I am under the understanding that altitude can effect preformance.
That .300 RUM is more than capable for any Mule Deer that ever lived.
If you shoot it well you can't go wrong.
Spike

A little late in the game, it is not my preference, but yes, the .300 RUM is more than adequate. And yes, performance will affect the rifle and the nut behind the trigger, but more on the latter.

I would like to thank all for the great input to my hunt as you can see, I was blessed to harvest a great Mule Deer Buck. The 300 RUM shooting Nosler Accubond 180gr did the trick easily, distance was only 426 yrds so not that stretched for the territory. This is a public draw deer hunt, so I am proof that it can happen if you put in the time and effort to scout. There are great maps these days that make it easy to figure out scouting and hunting strategies. Good luck out there my friends.
received_1212514045999366A.jpeg
received_1322834115125950.jpeg

That is one fine deer!
Before i saw your kill, I was going to suggest you stick with the rum, since the altitude can make it harder for somebody not acclimated to get close. Looks like it worked out nicely for you.

I would like to thank all for the great input to my hunt as you can see, I was blessed to harvest a great Mule Deer Buck. The 300 RUM shooting Nosler Accubond 180gr did the trick easily, distance was only 426 yrds so not that stretched for the territory. This is a public draw deer hunt, so I am proof that it can happen if you put in the time and effort to scout. There are great maps these days that make it easy to figure out scouting and hunting strategies. Good luck out there my friends. View attachment 411630View attachment 411631
That's a really really great DIY deer. Let that RUM eat.

Recent Posts