Best cabelas scope under 500

802VT

This is my first post. I have been reading through many threads over the past month and am more confused than ever. I am going on a guided moose hunt in Canada and will be using a rem 7400 .308. It has a bushnell 1.5-4.5x,21 which I know needs to be replaced. So I am looking for the best scope for the money under $500 from cabelas since I have 200 cabela points. (200pts + 300 cash). I will probably be shooting under 250 yards however, the guide told me there have been a few taken at 350. At first I had narrowed it down to the zeiss conquest 3x9, but then started to read about debris within the glass. I then moved on to the nikon monarch 3x9 only to read about fogging up after several years and poor customer service. Should I be looking at the top bushnell and redfield?

I've looked at the Alaskan guide or what ever they call it and they're very nice. Plus they're well under $400.00 bucks. I have had many Bushnell elites. The 4200s are great. I have a 6500 2.5x16x50mm and I actually think that glass is one step below the 4200s I have. But the Cabela scopes are most impressive. That is the Alaskan guide one what ever they call it.

Nikon's have good glass but scare the crap out of me due to so many refurbished ones being sold on the web. I would look at VX-3 w/CDS, Minox (not the 3-15X42, no parallax adj.) or Ziess. I know nothing about the Cabelas brand scopes but have been very happy with almost everything I own that they branded.

Last edited:
I take the Zeiss with me on that trip!gun) I dont own a Vortex Viper, But they are also on the list for $500 or less and are very well liked on this site. Bill Maylor..

I wouldn't limit yourself to a Cabela's scope, especially at that price.
In addition, I find that there is no substitute to going to the nearest Cabelas and looking through the scopes with my own eyes no matter what any of us may recommend.

For that money, I'd look at the Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell 3200 and 4200, and Nikon Monarch if I were buying only from Cabelas. Maybe the Leupold VX-II or VX-3 as well, though I think the Zeiss is better for the money.

Actually, on that rifle and for that money I'd buy a Sightron instead from somewhere else, and use the $200 in Cabelas points for gear. This one here is just over $200:
Sightron SII39X42 SII 3-9X42MM Scope, Black - ManVenture Outpost, LLC

Check out scope prices on ManVentureOutpost.com as well as Opticsplanet.com and natchezss.com
All are usually much cheaper than Cabelas - enough that I've purchased scopes through them and used my Cabela's points on other items.

Good luck!

I wouldn't limit yourself to a Cabela's scope, especially at that price.
In addition, I find that there is no substitute to going to the nearest Cabelas and looking through the scopes with my own eyes no matter what any of us may recommend.

For that money, I'd look at the Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell 3200 and 4200, and Nikon Monarch if I were buying only from Cabelas. Maybe the Leupold VX-II or VX-3 as well, though I think the Zeiss is better for the money.

Actually, on that rifle and for that money I'd buy a Sightron instead from somewhere else, and use the $200 in Cabelas points for gear. This one here is just over $200:
Sightron SII39X42 SII 3-9X42MM Scope, Black - ManVenture Outpost, LLC

Check out scope prices on ManVentureOutpost.com as well as Opticsplanet.com and natchezss.com
All are usually much cheaper than Cabelas - enough that I've purchased scopes through them and used my Cabela's points on other items.

Good luck!

What he said, and remember that Sightron SII's & Sightron SIIB's (Big Sky) are both still eligible for $50 & $75 rebates respectively for scopes purchased before March 1st. Be sure and check prices on Outdoors4Less.net also.

Outdoors 4 less.net is running a SII 3-12X42 a 1/4 moa scope with AO and target turrets for like $290 then is eligble for $50 rebate also.

the SII 3x9x42 without target knobs or AO is what I hae on several guns and it can be bought for around $225 and is also eligible for rebate.

Last edited:
Since Cabelas is selling Vortex, that's where I would go. Get a Viper or Diamondback.

Great scopes for the money. Their customer service has no equal.

The zeiss conquest is a great scope.
It would be a great choice if you have to buy one from cabelas.
Don't worry about the debris.
I you somehow get a bad one just send it back.
I've seen a bunch of them and never seen a bad one.
I as well as two buddies own one and they have all been excellent in all respects.

How accurate is your 7400 right now?

I own one in 30-06 that with the right ammo will shoot under 1 MOA (Rem CoreLokt, Federal Fusion). However, other ammo can be 4-5 MOA (Remington AccuTip). This is all using factory loads.

I was just thinking to myself... if you really want to use the 7400 that's fine, but note that a $500 scope will be worth more than the rifle. :D If it won't shoot under 2 MOA (which you really should have for a 350 yard shot) in its current form then I'd seriously think about a different rifle. You should be able to tell this using your current scope.

I'd hate to have you buy an expensive scope and find out the rifle won't shoot well. Some 7400's have that reputation.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies. I have not shot this rifle in a couple of years. Right now it is a little too cold in vermont to go to the range. I thought I would buy the best scope under 500 which i am aware will be worth more than the gun, and the next warm day, site it in. My reason for this is, if I find the gun is incapable of shooting tight groups I would upgrade to a savage or tikka at a reasonable cost and still have a good scope for the new setup.

I'd shoot it as it sits.

Why?

You may find a rifle + scope combo on this site or Gunbroker for less $ than buying a new scope and then buying a rifle. No sense spending more than you need to. See if you can find an indoor range.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts