best bullet seating die?

G

Im having trouble with my seating dies and Scirocco bullets.I tuned my sizing dies to .002 or less runout on sized cases,but when I sit the swift bullets,my runout will vary form .001 to .012. when I use bullets with a shorter fatter nose,the runout is minimal,.003 or less.I feel that the long,streamlined scirocco bullets nosecone is the problem.i checked the bullets themselves nad there is virtually no runout.I,ve tried turning the case 1/2 a round during the seating process and it still doesn't work consistently.Any help will be appreciated.

Take the seating stem out of the die and insert a bullet by hand. If the tip of the bullet is bottoming out on the seater then you may be able to drill the hole deeper so that it presses the bullet on the ogive like it should. This is pretty common with standard die sets and VLD bullets or plastic tipped bullets.

Lance

Forster BR or Ultra BR or Redding Comp seating dies are the best conventional seating dies I have tested for controling bullet run outs.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hmmmm,drill the hole deeper so the tip doesn't hit bottom. "ejamacation" is a wonderful thing.Wish I had some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks.

Hardcase ,
Whose dies are you using? Wolkens advise is good ,however you need to be able to perform that task ina a precision way.
As Fiftydriver said the Forster or Redding seaters are good stuff.I haven't had any problem seating vld bullets with them.
One more thing, do you see any change in the nose after you have seated them?
Jim

Hardcase,
I did an experiment with seaters a few years ago ,I replaced most of my standard seaters with competition type seaters from Redding ,Forster and wilson. to make a long story short if your run-out coming off your sizing die is .001 a competition type seater will keep it at .001,if your brass run-out is .005 it will seat it at .005 and so on . a competition seater will not make up for a bad sizing job but wont make it worse. On the other hand if you are truely getting .001 run-out from your brass and .012 on loaded ammo you are using a standard seater that is no more than a trash can liner and standard sizing dies that are giving you way too much neck tension, buy some good dies and sleep much better.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.