Best bullet for whitetail in 243 Win

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
Hi all,

I have a Remington 700 SPS in .243 Win that I use for walking around with while deer hunting in PA. This rifle has a 24" barrel with a 1 in 9.125" twist. I have been looking at several bullets and then inputting their data into Berger's twist calculator and Hornady's ballistics calculator to find an optimum bullet. Of course real world experience means more than an equation so I am looking for some input into what bullet others have found to work the best on whitetail in a similar setup as mine. Most shots will be within 150 yards and the max would be 250 yards with this rifle.

Bullets I have looked at are:

Berger 105gr Hunting VLD (really wanted to use but needs 1 in 8" twist)
Berger 95gr Hunting VLD (marginal according to calculator but impossible to find)
Berger 87gr Hunting VLD (supposed to be best, I have found a few boxes)
Hornady 85gr Interbond (seems to be the best fit according to calculator)
Hornady 105gr A-Max (several threads say it works well but calculator says marginal, I have found a few boxes)
Nosler 95gr BT (marginal and impossible to find)
Nosler 90gr BT (best fit according to calculator but impossible to find)
Sierra MK 95gr (impossible to find)
sierra GK 85gr (looks ok, easy to find)

I really wanted to stay in the 95-105 weight range but willing to try 85-90 grain bullets. Just worried about energy and penetration on deer.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I know this isn't "Long Range" but I don't want to lug around my 12-1/2 lb rifle when walking in the woods. That beauty is for the power lines. :D

Thanks!

I have used the 243 for quite a few years in the PA woods and it is a great round. In this state i would stay away from the Berger VLD's. They are a great bullet but alot of shots that present themselves in PA can be within 25-150 yards and if you get a close shot I am not sure how well these would hold together.

I am a huge fan of the sierra 85 gr hpbt gameking and have killed alot of deer with them over the years and never lost one and never really had one run further than 60 yards after being hit. I would stay away from should shots with this bullet though. It is constructed pretty strong but is still a hollow point bullet and you just never know.

I started using the 90 grain accubonds last year and was really impressed! The bullet shoots great out of my tikka t3 around 1/2"-3/4" at 100 yards and 1.25" at 200 yards. I only had the opportunity to take one doe with it last year and it was a 80 yard shot and I hit her right and the shoulder and she dropped quick! The bullet penetrated both shoulders and exited leaving a half dollar size hole. This bullet is now more readily available online if you are looking to try a box.

Up until about 5 yrs ago all I shot deer with in NW Kansas was a Rem. 700 .243 with 100 gr. Sierra GK. **** near every shot from 0-400 yrds was a dead deer. Some dropped some ran but no more than 50 yrds . That is both whitetail and muleys. My father has always shot a semi custom Rem. 700 6mm for as long as I can remember for deer. Also using the 100 gr. Sierra GK( which is why I used it). If you put them were they are supposed to be you will have a dead deer. Hope this helps.

May I suggest the Cutting Edge 88gr Match/Hunting/Tactical. I run this bullet with the "go to" charge of H4350 and get less than a half inch MOA out of my Rem VLS with the same twist. The bullet is devastating on deer. Just a suggestion.....

Erik

Definitely test the 105 Amax. It will kick butt on a whitetail! Try it with Superformance powder... you'll like it.

My 243 has a 20" 1:10 twist barrel and I shoot the Nosler BT 95 grain with 35.1 grains of Varget at 2906 fps and .35" groups at 100. 2.5" groups at 500 yards and 1800+ fps (noslers minimum recommended fps for proper expansion )

Thanks for all of the responses. I have some 100 grain Sierra Game Kings and some 90 grain Accubonds on their way based on availability. I'm hoping to get a load worked up for this fall. I will definitely try more bullets next year which is what I love about handloading!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.