best bullet for elk with 338 lapua

It will flatten an elk. As will 300 gr. Sierra. I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't say, but I shoot Lapua and Edge, and I shoot the 2 bullets mentioned at everything from squirels and rocks to elk and bears and they both have awesome any range terminal performance!
Just don't use a Lapua bullet for hunting, as they are to hard and will pencil through unless you take a head or spine shot.gun)

It will flatten an elk. As will 300 gr. Sierra. I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't say, but I shoot Lapua and Edge, and I shoot the 2 bullets mentioned at everything from squirels and rocks to elk and bears and they both have awesome any range terminal performance!
Just don't use a Lapua bullet for hunting, as they are to hard and will pencil through unless you take a head or spine shot.gun)

The TRG has a 1:12 twist I believe. If it has a 1:10 then the 300's will work just fine. If that is the case then the 250's are as heavy as he can go. My suggestion for loaded ammo would be Black Hills with the Sierra 250's or if you can find a manufacture for that uses the Hornady's you would be better off. For the price of loaded ammunition for a box of Lapua, you could loaded a couple hundred rounds. If you have any desire to reload, you should consider it for the casing you are using.

Good Luck,
Tank

my trg is the new one with 1/12 twist and i think it will shoot the 300gr. i put a couple boxes of sierra match kings through it but the rifle likes the hornady. i think your correct about the reloading. it cost a small fortune to set the gun up. i used to reload for my sharps...might go back because of the cost as i want to do some more long range shooting. its not bad for hunting once a year. i shot 5 deer this year and the bthp really opened them up. on a good not they died on the spot! thanks again. if you have any suggestions on type of bullet to load that would give me the same accuracy send me an e mail at:[email protected].

I would have to say that the the 250gr hornady would be a great choice to hand load with. Sierra does not recomend shooting the 300gr SMK's out of anything slower than a 1:10 twist barrel, allot of guys are running them out of a 1:9 twist. I personally am running them out of a 1:10 twist at 2981 fps. I can run the 250's at high 3100 fps range. The 225gr Hornady SST would also be a good choice if you whant to shoot a laser. Hope this helps.

the best bullet for elk with a 338 lapua is any bullet you can hit him with any one of them will do the job if you dont handload dont worry the factory stuff will do more than enough in that caliber.

I had a TRG a year or so ago and it shot handload 300 SMK's great. You might try to locate some Black Hills loaded with 300 SMK bullets. In August at Camp Perry National Matches Champion's Choice or Champion Shooters Supply had them.

I'm getting a Christian arms 338 lapua. I plan to reload I see a lot about the Hornady bullets does nosler have a good long range bullet for hunting elk and mule deer.

250 accubonds work great in my 338 rum, 250 bergers have worked great on bears.

I hav not used the 265 LRABs yet but I have in smaller calibers with great success

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts