Best bullet for a moose hunt

10point

I may have an opportunity to moose hunt in Canada. I have a 300 RUM and Reload my own what would bullet would you recommend.

If it is a Rutt Time Call hunt, You will want a bullet that will penetrate. Many bulls coming to a caller have there shoulders protecting their chest. Nosler PT, Accubond or Barnes 200 Gr TTSX. The one your rifle shoots accurately would be the winner.

I live in Canada and I have shot several moose. I would recommend 180 grain Barnes TTSX. You want a bullet that can break bones at close range if necessary. Also, moose meat is phenomenal, and you won't want to waste any with a grenading bullet, so I would avoid frangible bullets like the Berger.

I live in Canada and I have shot several moose. I would recommend 180 grain Barnes TTSX. You want a bullet that can break bones at close range if necessary. Also, moose meat is phenomenal, and you won't want to waste any with a grenading bullet, so I would avoid frangible bullets like the Berger.
Have cut a good number of moose shot with Berger and Accubond I'll shoot the Berger all day long when meat is concerned, small hole in with little to no blood shot then utter wreckage in the middle.

Have cut a good number of moose shot with Berger and Accubond I'll shoot the Berger all day long when meat is concerned, small hole in with little to no blood shot then utter wreckage in the middle.

Perhaps. The other thing to consider is bears. If you are hunting moose in grizzly country, a bullet that can break bones and deeply penetrate is a smart choice. Again, Bergers don't fill that niche.

I may have an opportunity to moose hunt in Canada. I have a 300 RUM and Reload my own what would bullet would you recommend.

I shot a 900 lb. moose in Newfoundland in Seotember with my 300 Win Mag. using a 200 gr. ELDX @80 yds. Had to get it done quickly as it was almost dark and he was facing me...one in the center of his chest rocked him, he turned broadside and dropped like a rock when I put a second one behind his shoulder...nuff said.

My buddy harvested a MT bull elk in 2013. It took 3 shots of 180g Barnes TTSX out off his .300 WM; all shots were <100 yards. The first two shots were pass through at the boiler room area and 3rd was at the front shoulder (ruined quite a bit meat). I honestly think the bullet did it's job as advertised, it just longer for the elk to expire.

I used a 250gr Accubond (338RUM) on a 1,000lb bull. Hit him on the shoulder and flipped him over backwards. Big rack slammed into the ground and the bull never even twitched. Fastest kill I've ever seen.

I'd use the 200 Accubond in any of the 300 mags. But ..... there are plenty of other great choices. Decisons, decisions, deciisions. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.