Best bullet for .308 with 748 powder?

When hunting elk you need a bullet that will penetrate deep thru thick muscle & dense bone. One of the copper mono's around 150gr. Choose your brand. Don't count on a picture perfect broadside shot. Odds are very likely it will be an angled shot from front or back. Most all my shots have been under 200yds. Many under 100. Feel secure with a copper mono you know won't blow to pieces up close. I started using the Barnes mono in 1994. We have used it to take our elk every year since. Has never failed us.

This is just me but a lot of that depends on the country I'm in. In the timber, one still has to be choosy and ,look for one good poke. In the more open country (like around Craig) one just has to exhibit a bit of patience and the right angle will present it self.

Just my thoughts on that.

I got an elk hunt coming up in November and just finished building my .308 win. Just wondering what bullet I should use. I got a lot of 748 powder and that's what I want to use. I want a bullet that will be as accurate as possible and still be able to kill an elk at 500 yards. Any suggestions and data would be appreciated.

If you have a good supply of Win 748, there's no reason you can't use it for your elk hunt. Just be sure to sight in when the temperature is close to what you're expecting during the hunt. If you want to be really precise, you'd also have to sight in at a similar elevation (barometric pressure). -Ed

Nosler 125Gr Accubond with that Winchester 748 and they're runN 3,200FPS out of 22' barrel. really like em. Cow elk at 150yd but, no troubles.

I got an elk hunt coming up in November and just finished building my .308 win. Just wondering what bullet I should use. I got a lot of 748 powder and that's what I want to use. I want a bullet that will be as accurate as possible and still be able to kill an elk at 500 yards. Any suggestions and data would be appreciated.
I think I might go with the 180gr Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X (TTSX) not sure if the powder is the best for it but there are other powers.

I would suggest you try the 152 Gr Hammer Hunter, solid copper bullet. Hammer bullets tend to be easy to develop an accurate load, and their terminal performance is among the best. Best thing about them now, is that you can order them on line and get them in a few days.

I've found that the lighter 130 gn. Hammer Hunter outperforms most 150 gn. hunting bullets! It also flies flatter and faster! On deer out to 500 yds it's my chouice.

Seen a lot of good results with the Barnes and Berger 168's in front of blc-2, out of tikka and weatherby rifles on paper and dead elk, good luck with your hunt, and before the BC became so prevalent hornady interlocks and Sierra game kings were a staple

748 is a decent powder with lighter bullets in the .308. I would go with the 151 Absolute Hammer and be 100% confident. Absolutes appear to work better with faster that normal powders for a given bullet weight so you would be fine.
Frank is right that it has a reputation as a very temp sensitive powder. However I would be more worried when building a load in cold and then using it in hot weather, not vice vera in your case. The worse that can happen is the cold powder temp will cause slower velocity and your drops will be more pronounced at 500 by a few inches. I would (and do) always check my rifles' zero and extended range drops in or as close to the environment I'll be hunting in.
Good luck with your hunt!

*UPDATE* So I made whipped up some of the 200gr hornady eld-x with the 748 powder at 37.4gr which was the suggested starting grain. I also needed to break in my barrel as this is a rifle I just finished building so I figured if I use a bunch of powder I'd use the 748 that I have a lot of and am on the fence about. So after sending about 15 rounds through it my best 3 shot group was .383. I also loaded some with H4350 at 43gr, which was the suggested start. When reloading I became nervous after seeing how full the case was, like i could hear what sounded like the powder being crushed when seating the bullet. So I did not make very many. My best 3 shot group was .672. NOTE: I have a 20in proof research carbon barrel that is 1:10 twist on a savage 10 action. My shots where taken at 100yards off bags.