Best Bullet Choice for Long Range Antelope 243 Win twist 1:10

Double Dropper

Going to be taking the 243 out for antelope this year and will be working up a new load with Lapua brass and Fed 210 primers. Rifle is a very accurate Winchester XPR and from what I can ascertain the twist is 1/10. I would like to be able to push a 103 105 grain bullet but I am getting some feed back that this may not be possible?? That it is unlikely any slippery bullet with a high BC over 95 grains will not stabilize!!? Trying to put together a load out to 500-600 yards if necessary.

I've hot the same question here. I was looking at the 85gr Berger classic hunter

The 95 classic should work just fine, if they don't stabilize the 1-10 twist is a hard one to work with high bc bullets. Most need a 1:8 twist.

Last edited:
Going to be taking the 243 out for antelope this year and will be working up a new load with Lapua brass and Fed 210 primers. Rifle is a very accurate Winchester XPR and from what I can ascertain the twist is 1/10. I would like to be able to push a 103 105 grain bullet but I am getting some feed back that this may not be possible?? That it is unlikely any slippery bullet with a high BC over 95 grains will not stabilize!!? Trying to put together a load out to 500-600 yards if necessary.
You may take a look at 90 tipped gameking by sierra

Last edited:
If you use the 1800/1100 rule, a 243 is not a 500-600 yard cartridge. It is about a 350 yard cartridge.

I have used a Nosler 85 gr Partition in a 6mm Wildcat at the 250-350 yard range. That is probably the bullet I would use if I had a 243.

I have a 1-9.5 twist 243AI that shoots 105s pretty well. According to Bergers stability calculator this is marginal, but may shoot in your rifle.
I've killed southern whitetails out to 400+ with it. No experience with 500+. I'm trying Hammers now. Started with 83 gr. Shoot very well. Killed one with through and through at 204 yds. Will try heavier this year to see what i can get to shoot. Love my 243AI!

Let us know what you find out. I'm pushing the 90 Speer near 3200 with 24" 1n10 and it's amazing to 250. Haven't had any shots past that. I doubt it would be good past 350 though. Just not enough juice.

Bergers and ballistic tips will work, antelope are NOT tough critters, but Bergers and ballistic tips could potentially cause a LOT of meat damage in my experience. I prefer a copper bullet like Barnes or the Nosler E-Tip. They always do the necessary job with proper placement, and much less meat damage on the smaller framed antelope. Accubonds are fine too, but I tend to use my .25-06 with Barnes bullets on combined mule deer/antelope hunts.

One other thing, don't worry too much about a hit antelope running off on you, they tend to run in a semi-circle almost always coming back to toward the line they started from.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.