Best budget savage barrel vise

block%20001.JPG
block%20002.JPG
block%20003.JPG

This set is for a sporter barrel. I have another set for varmint weight barrels that have a bigger 'V'. Have never let me down. Mine are dogwood.

Rich

I've cut my own barrel blocks out of wood and you can do the same, they work well. About 2-3 years ago I bought the barrel vise jaws that Jim Briggs sells a Northland Shooters Supplies.:)

To be brutally honest, spend the $80 and get a real vise off of eBay with the aluminum sleeves. I have never had a barrel that it wouldn't hold. It gets frustrating when you buy one, saved $20... And have to buy another right behind it.

My neighbor and I just went through this with his vise. He had his friend machine it for him, but it won't hold a factory barrel tight enough to be removed like mine will.

The Viper barrel vised on sale at Grizzly for $59.95, been very pleased with it and I remove barrels weekly, I use it every day just to hold a rifle while I work on it. Put a wrap of paper around the barrel and lock it down.

To be brutally honest, spend the $80 and get a real vise off of eBay with the aluminum sleeves. I have never had a barrel that it wouldn't hold. It gets frustrating when you buy one, saved $20... And have to buy another right behind it.

My neighbor and I just went through this with his vise. He had his friend machine it for him, but it won't hold a factory barrel tight enough to be removed like mine will.

what brand is yours? I've read in many places the Viper is good.

Visited the local shoe repair shop for some heavy shoe sole rubber.
Cut up a piece of scrap maple
six screws
six small round rare earth magnets to it doesn't slide off of the vice jaws
band saw for cutting the rubber
contact cement for rubber to wood
construction wood glue for the wood to wood surfaces and wood screws to hold 'em tight
$10 bucks - works like a charm
Next time I'll use the rare earth magnets out of a junked computer portable hard drive and save a few bucks there.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 185
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 175
I know you're asking about a barrel vise but in your headline you said savage. You don't need a barrel vise to rebarrel a savage, an action wrench and nut wrench are all you need. I've rebarreled a bunch of them and that's all I've ever used.

when it comes to a barrel with a nut, there is more then one way with different tools to do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.