Best Budget Custom Action Currently

308cal

Looking at doing a custom in 6.5x47L and would like to go full custom, but would like to keep the action cost at $1K or less. Also, for ease, would like to stay with an action, in the Rem 700 footprint.

Who makes the best one, in that range, and who has the best prices?

Last edited:
Looking at doing a custom in 6.5x47L and would like to go full custom, but would like to keep the action cost at $1K or less. Also, for ease, would like to stay with an action, in the Rem 700 footprint.

Who makes the best one, in that range, and who has the best prices?
Stick your hand $300 deeper into your pocket and buy a Surgeon 591R.

For less than 100.00 more I would go a Borden. But I have have also built 3 rifles on the GunWerks GRB actions also, I got them at the first release sale for $745.00 at the time, I think they are 850.00 now. They are very solid actions with some nice features like borden bumps, field strippable bolt, NP3 coated one piece bolt with removable knob, pinned scope base and barrel lug. Cut for wyatt box. The Atlas is a nice action also.

I have owned Borden, Stiller, Nesika, Surgeon with no complaints.

The current stable consists of Defiance and Kelbly; the custom featured Defiance are a bit more $$$.

That being said, the Kelbly Atlas will be my choice for its features and simplicity.

Customer service from either Defiance or Kelbly is exceptional!

I recently completed my second 6.5x47L for PRC competition using a Bighorn TL3 action. I effortlessly mounted the Criterion MTU barrel myself in about ten minutes, and have been very pleased with its overall performance. I chose this action based upon observing and trying out both the TL3 and Origin Bighorn actions used at PRC matches, perhaps one of the more demanding environments for a rifle action. I like the Bighorns controlled feed, interchangeable bolt head design, ease of bolt disassembly, and overall quality of workmanship. My other PRS rifle in 6.5x47 uses a Surgeon 591, also a fine action.
6FCF2836-C29B-4027-9F26-272338730803.jpeg B98430C2-3B83-4CC1-BF6C-63DA83ED2402.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.