Best Broken case extraction tool Ive found

Veteran

I bought a few broken case extractor tools from Pacific Guage and Tool. They are like the Echo brand that Brownells sells, But
they don't ALWAYS work......mostly
they work..... but what Ive found will work even when the tools do not is a 10 inch rat tail file. Round like the one below. Diameter will depend on caliber you need to extract.

See picture attached.

Its long enough you can insert it through even long actions.

You gently tap it into the neck of the broken case from the breach side.

Then you apply pressure pushing in and twist or rotate it 2 or 3 turns like you are screwing it in. You do not want too small a diameter that will protrude through your brass into the lands.

You want it to catch inside the brass in the shoulder/neck junction.

Once its turned a few turns and the grooves in the file bite into the brass
then take a rod from the barrel side and gently tap it out.

Taps will also work, but not very well on bolt actions especially long actions. Better on breach loaders due to short length.

Just my experience. Extaction tools also seem to lose some of their spring tensil strength after a few times.

This rat tail file works!

Attachments

• 20211124_141540.jpg
    20211124_141540.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
I've never broken off a case in the chamber (case head separation) but my buddy has on many occasions. Probably from over-sizing and shooting hot loads. Either way, I watched him remove many cases by inserting a brass brush that fits tightly into the case body and just extracting. I've never seen it fail to work.

The rat tail file may work just a s well but putting a steel file into the receiver/chamber of one of my custom rifles would give me the ebby-geebys. 😁

I left the plastic coating on all the file except the last 7 inches.

I will probably wrap it in duct tape too. That should help your eebbie jeebies at least a little🙂

The Echo extraction tool has worked the couple times at range for frantic souls. The one thing I did was to remove the tongs from the case and just attach to Dewey with a thread adapter. Slide into chamber and let it snap over neck mouth, pull out. Doesn't seem to matter on cartridge doing it this way. I pulled out a 7RM with 7mm version that the Echo case was removed. It was kind of funny since three guys were standing around telling owner how much it was going to cost. I asked what's up and went to my range box, pulled out it and asked if I could try. Said yes, pushed in Dewey, pulled out case, handed to him. So you don't need specific cartridge removers, just right diameter. So 30 cal works on all 30 cal regardless of cartridge.
B1981A7B-CA0D-4E74-921D-80DD7CF3ED18.jpeg
2E944F5D-9FF3-4052-8D64-4BA73FD21DAE.jpeg
8A420FB4-856D-4F11-9F1F-FF7E46412017.jpeg

The Echo extraction tool has worked the couple times at range for frantic souls. The one thing I did was to remove the tongs from the case and just attach to Dewey with a thread adapter. Slide into chamber and let it snap over neck mouth, pull out. Doesn't seem to matter on cartridge doing it this way. I pulled out a 7RM with 7mm version that the Echo case was removed. It was kind of funny since three guys were standing around telling owner how much it was going to cost. I asked what's up and went to my range box, pulled out it and asked if I could try. Said yes, pushed in Dewey, pulled out case, handed to him. So you don't need specific cartridge removers, just right diameter. So 30 cal works on all 30 cal regardless of cartridge.View attachment 314336View attachment 314337View attachment 314338
I like the looks of the Echo tool because it has the screw ridges on it like a tap but is more versatile because you can "extend it" with a dewey rod.

Here's what the Pacific Guage and Tool extractor looks like. Works pretty good on most cases, until its stuck really hard, then you need something that will screw into the brass internally and really bite to pull or knock it out.

That file does the trick, and Brownells doesnt carry an Echo in .338 at least not when I looked.

Attachments

• 20211124_203834.jpg
    20211124_203834.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
I bought a few broken case extractor tools from Pacific Guage and Tool. They are like the Echo brand that Brownells sells, But
they don't ALWAYS work......mostly
they work..... but what Ive found will work even when the tools do not is a 10 inch rat tail file. Round like the one below. Diameter will depend on caliber you need to extract.

See picture attached.

Its long enough you can insert it through even long actions.

You gently tap it into the neck of the broken case from the breach side.

Then you apply pressure pushing in and twist or rotate it 2 or 3 turns like you are screwing it in. You do not want too small a diameter that will protrude through your brass into the lands.

You want it to catch inside the brass in the shoulder/neck junction.

Once its turned a few turns and the grooves in the file bite into the brass
then take a rod from the barrel side and gently tap it out.

Taps will also work, but not very well on bolt actions especially long actions. Better on breach loaders due to short length.

Just my experience. Extaction tools also seem to lose some of their spring tensil strength after a few times.

This rat tail file works!
Recently i found a tough one that my brass brush wouldn't pull, which usually works for me. I pulled the barrel and took after it with a 3/8-16 threading tap. As soon as itgrabbed and startedtospin it lifted right out.
I have and identical rat tail rasp that I should have tried, I will if it happens again! I had some older many fired brass that I was using in a chamber that was or tightheadspaced. Several of the brass showed the signs of separation imminent.