Best brasses for a 264WinMag

Majopikeras

Hello folks!

I want to get as much as i can from my old model 70 winchester, chambered in 264 win mag. gun)

Find brasses for that cartridge could be hard, but in Spain this is VERY hard. After looking arround, i have get Winchester and Remington brasses, with, of course, the propper head-stamp.

But i have some norma 7 mm rem mag brasses, and i can full lenght size them and get 264 norma brasses. I don´t care about head stamping, as the 264 is the only magnum belted cartridge in my safe.

I have noted that the chamber of this rifle is a little bit big, because the brasses are hard to full size. I have bought a hornady neck sizer, so i will fire one shoot (with the norma, RP or WW cases) and then look after a good load with the "expanded" case, neck-sizing it. I think this will give me more uniformity in speeds and probably more speed.

Am I going in the right way? lightbulb

Just a last question... what speeds and groups can I spect from this 24" sporter barrel? I have bedded the action and floated the barrel, and i´m wissing to test new loads! Before that, it was hard to keep it shooting 1,5MOA or slightly better at 100 meters (110 yards)

The "expanding" shoots will be made with powerpoint and corelockt 140 grains bullets (to save money), but the final load will be with barnes TSX 130 and/or hornady SST 140.

All information are wellcome!!

Thanks a lot!

I can't answer your question as to sizing down the 7mm brass, but with the 24" barrel you should see around 2950-3000 fps give or take with the 140's and more with the TSX 130! My rifle does really good with Retumbo, VV N570, and H870 lit with CCI250's hope this help Guy!!!!

I have used Remington and Winchester brass and have not seen that one is better than the other. I have also resized 7 mags to 264 with mixed results.

As for speeds, I can get 3050 to 3100 with 140's and about 3250 with the 129/130 gr. bullets.
This is also with a 24" barrel 1980's Winchester M70.

Thank a loy guys!!

I will prepare the cases and sort by weight, then start working up loads.

Till today, i only found sweet spot on a mild (maybe light) load, so i hope found a good load at, at least, 2950fps.

Tjay, what accuraccy are you getting of your M70? I'm planning to shoot 140 SST and 130 TSX...

The magazine box is small, so i can't adjust the COAL to get the bullet close to lands, if i didn't want to feed it one by one...

I have been getting 1" groups at 100 yards with the 140 gr. Nosler Partition. My best groups have been with 125 gr. Nosler Partitions at max load of H1000 in the 3/4" range if I do my part.
I am still working on the 129/130's and do not yet have any accuracy data as I was looking at a new powder and where it maxed out. That said without trying to max accuracy I have groups in the 1" to 1.5" area.

All of you are missing a lot of accurate loads if you don't try thr new
Hornady 123 amax with a .510 B C
I use them in 264 & 6.5 rem mag & 6.5x55

Okie, what kind of velocity are you seeing with the 123 a max? Any experience on game with that bullet?

I have no experience with this AMAX bullets, but i think that could be
too soft if you used it in close ranges, and too light at long ranges.

I think the 140 AMAX, with .55 BC is a better option. It probably
doesn´t shot flatter than the 123, but it will hold the crosswind
better. I´m planning to use the 264 WM in red deer and hogs (also
does), so this will hit harder for sure! Maybe on ligther game the 123
grainer will perform well, but for mi rifle, I chosse the 140. That´s
the reason why i load the SST, it´s stouter than the AMAX and will
perform OK in close shots.

Thanks a lot for the info. When i tried some loads, I will post the
resusts here.

I to am shooting a 264 Win Mag. My go to load is W-W Case CCI 250 primer & Nosler 120gr BT with IMR 4350 60.0 gr Max load in Nosler reloading manual. I have used this load on Antelope to 500 yds & complete pass through. I am planning on using it on Mule deer this fall. When at 100 yds it averages under 1 inch. smallest group to date .55 inch. Still working on seating depth & have some Nosler Brass coming in mail from Natches Shooting Supply. I hope it helps with group size since all my Brass prep is just sizing & trim to length. I to have thought about using Hornadys 123 gr A-Max for the B.C. but unsure if it would be relaible on Big Game. My Rifle is Model 70 XTR 24 inch Barrel.

The orginal question was on which brass to use. I have a fondness for 7mm Remington, 270 or 7mm Weatherby brass necked down. These are often available at sale prices where the correct headstamp is expensive. Sometimes fired range brass is available for a song. I prefer the Norma brass for case life and consistency. I recommend anealing the necks every 4 or 5 loads. Nosler is sorting and preping correct headstamp Norma brass now but I have over 500 of the Norma. Even in Nosler the 7mm Rem Mag brass is cheaper.

I will finally use the 7rem mag norma brasses.

I have weight sorted and prepared a few RP brasses but, after test the loads i found many of them with a crak arround the case, near the belt. Thas was caused by a very loooong headspace, and that cause broken cases at just 2850 fps with 140 grainers.

So i will use the 7 mags cases, neck sizing it just a bit to create a false shoulder, and then fireform the cases to my chamber head space.

I have to thank a friend who open my eyes with that.

I have some kind of 264 win mag improved! Hahaha. Now it's more overboored, as it hase more case capacity!

Thanks all... I'll keep posting results!

I prefer Winchester Brass but Nosler brass is pretty good. I recently tried 7mm Remington Magnum brass and that seems to work best.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.