Best brass

chad44

Im needing to purchase a new batch of brass and have gone with Remington in the past. I'm wondering if someone can tell me why it's worth the $$ to go up to Norma or Lapua ect....??? Does it really last longer? Is there special prepping that goes with it? Thanks

Im needing to purchase a new batch of brass and have gone with Remington in the past. I'm wondering if someone can tell me why it's worth the $$ to go up to Norma or Lapua ect....??? Does it really last longer? Is there special prepping that goes with it? Thanks
Both make great brass, in fact Norma has in the past made some of Lapua's brass.

What caliber?

I buy Lapua when I can so i do not have to prep the brass. Yes in my opinion it lasts much longer if your loads aren't unreasonably hot. I have had the same brass for my 6.5x.284 since I bought it in 2005. I cracked my first neck a couple weeks ago. Had i annealed i wouldn't have lost that one.

Yes Norma, Lapua are worth the funds. Very little prep work. On 8 firings in 300 Wby with Norma. Winchester is complete trash avoid at all costs.

When deciding on what caliber to build next, I will base my decision in large part on whether or not Lapua makes brass for it. Or if it can be fireformed from Lapua brass. Yes it is that good and worth it to me.

Hello Chad,

Basically all brass is good, but some of it is much better. There is nothing wrong with Remington or Winchester, basically Winchester brass can take higher pressures. Norma is of higher quality than American brass and Lapua virtually can't be beat. When you look at any other brass and carefully check it out as to: OAL, uniform annealing at the neck, uniform weight and capacity, flashole diameter ( Lapua drills, not stamps, theirs) inside neck chamfering you can only appreciate how good and uniform Lapua is if you have a scale that weighs in .00 increments.

Might I suggest another altrnative: RWS brass available from Huntington Die Specialties. Most people have never seen it or heard of it. It is plainly able to stand up to higher pressures than any other brass. I have some for my 300 wildcat . The 9.3 x64 Brenneke basic case was rebated so it fits an '06 bolt face, blown out and sharp shouldered and it fits four into a rifles' magazine. Utilizing this brass I was able to to match .300 Weatherby PUBLISHED ballistics for the 180 grain bullet and this with no freebore. I do not believe any brass can stand up to such high pressures and yet virtually nobody knows anything about this fine brass. Its not cheap and that should be no surprise.

My two cents worth.

Gene S.

I'm currently using RWS for my 7 rem mag. Huntington Die, as already mentioned. Highly recommended by my 'smith. I have also used Norma for several different calibers with great success. The one lot of Nosler brass I used was also pretty impressive. One of the most important criteria I use is neck thickness. The last bunch of Norma brass I used had two cases out of fifty one that were over .001 in neck thickness variation.

When deciding on what caliber to build next, I will base my decision in large part on whether or not Lapua makes brass for it. Or if it can be fireformed from Lapua brass. Yes it is that good and worth it to me.
ya me too.:D thats why when i shoot out a 6.5x284 barrel i have on a savage f-class i am going to rebarrel it to a 284 winchester so i can neck up Lapua 6.5x284 brass and shot the new 168 grain Barnes Lrx. it should be a great longrange deer/antelope gun.:)

I have been shooting Lapua for awhile, and when I went to have my 6-284 built a good friend told me to try Nosler Custom brass. So far so good

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.