Best boots

I have two pairs I use regularly:

1. Kenetrek Hardscrabble "Hikers" - Low top that I use for 3 seasons, with gaiters in early season snows. Probably the most comfortable, functional boot out of the box that I have ever purchased. I have 18 months on them now and they have seen a lot of climbing and hiking. After being wiped with a damp cloth they still look new. I am constantly surprised at how tough they are and how well they continue to wear.

2. Cabela's Iron Ridge all leather 800s - these are my dead of winter boots, they are very waterproof... never had an issue.

I treat both pairs twice a year with a healthy dose of Obenaufs Boot Oil.

Just turned 60, probably put more than 100 miles on a pair of Kenetreks this fall. Plus summer hiking and scouting, and that many miles or more the previous 3 seasons, so this was season 4. I have bad feet. I need a good solid mid sole and plenty of toe box. Meindels worked good, I got 5 seasons out of them. Kenetreks are fantastic. Feet hardly hurt on a long day. We hunt and hike in northern New Mexico. In the past I have needed insulated boots when it was below 30. Kenetreks, with waterproof membrane, and a light pair of wool sock and a heavier pair over and my feet are good. I am now using them for the most expensive side work boots ever, but my feet hardly hurt on a long day and Not as tired. If I could just find something like them for horseback....

I have a pair of Kennetreks uninsulated Mtn Extreme. They're probably 5 years old or so. The heel is very loose and causes severe blisters. Fine for sedate terrain but not the steeps, or at least not for me. Super solid boot otherwise though. Is that an "older model" thing or is it basically the same boot as it always was?

Also, no love for Lowa's? I tried on a pair at REI today just to see what size I'd wear. They seem nice but they don't stock the more robust models. You gott'a order those online. Also, Crispi... they seem good too but their sizing is a little dinked up. They're about a half to a whole size to small.

I've had good luck with the Salomon Toundra; I'm on my second pair. Warm, and light. super solid boot with all the right features - lightweight, GTX, rugged outsole.

I've worn Kenetrek mountain extreme for work and hunting for last few years very happy with them. I just got my first pair of crispi s I will only be using Kenetreks for snow hunts now. I'm very happy with my crispi boots a lot lighter and still water proof

So on those Crispi's... do they have lace locks that I'm starting to see on many of the boots lately? Lace locks grab and hold the laces after you tighten over the instep so they don't loosen up when you transition up the ankle. They're usually just a differently designed lacing hook/eyelet.

This is what I use from bow season, through rifle season. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, non-insulated. I wouldn't sit in a stand with them but if you're doing a lot of hiking, with a good pair of merino wool socks, you'll be warm enough. They're very waterproof and fairly light. When you wear the soles out, send them into the factory and they will rebuild them for a lot less than a new pair.
https://kenetrek.com/products/mount...MInYXy1fKC4QIVYhh9Ch2TCw7MEAQYAiABEgJPB_D_BwE

So on those Crispi's... do they have lace locks that I'm starting to see on many of the boots lately? Lace locks grab and hold the laces after you tighten over the instep so they don't loosen up when you transition up the ankle. They're usually just a differently designed lacing hook/eyelet.
I think mine are the gtx and they do not have the lace locks. I believe the la sport tivas are the only boots I've ever had w lace locks. The crispi do have great support and a stiff insole I climb power poles with them comfortably.

Kenetrek Mountain extreme uninsulated for this guy. Ive run boots from Danner, La Sportive, Asolo and Scarpa. The Kenetreks are the best I've used. Scarpa Fuegos are a close second. Up until the true winter I've been very happy with them. If its negative temps and snow then I break out my pac boots.

For backcountry hunts I love my Salomon Quest GTX 4d, very comfortable, great ankle support and light. For late Elk Hunting in Washington I trade my Salomons in for my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes 400, hands down most durable boot and also very comfortable boot I've ever owned.

I wonder why Russell Moccasin boots are never talked about. I have a few pair that I love. Granted, I don't have a pair of their mountain boots. What about the Grand Slam Sheep Hunters?

Agreed, I use a pair of chippewa logging boots for hikes, hunts and camping trips. They are nearly 10 years old and have never let me down.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.