Best Bigbore brake

AceRoth

Getting started with a 338WM. First big bore (>300 mag) for me. What brake do I want? I am a value guy (ie cheap Scotsman) shooting a 20" bbl Savage hog hunter to be used mostly in the field, if that matters.

Thanks.

Getting started with a 338WM. First big bore (>300 mag) for me. What brake do I want? I am a value guy (ie cheap Scotsman) shooting a 20" bbl Savage hog hunter to be used mostly in the field, if that matters.

Thanks.

I'd recommend a Holland QD brake for your use. Reasonable cost. Works great on a 338 RUM shooting 300 grain pills....

Not cheap ($185), but easiest to install and very effective.

APA American Precision Arms: Gen II Fat Bastard Brake

Gen_II_Fat_Bastard-294x215.jpg

Thanks.

Cheep Is Ok as long as you don't expect much. You can buy a $50.00 brake that will reduce recoil by 30% and that's quite a bit. (You get what you pay for). you should spend at least $150.00+ dollars if you want more recoil reduction.

A top quality brake will normally reduce recoil by 45 to 55% . A few will exceed 55%.

One other thing, A cheep poorly designed and installed brake can hurt accuracy, A well designed
and installed brake won't effect accuracy and sometimes It will improve the accuracy and shooter comfort.

J E CUSTOM

+1 ^^^ Jerry at J E Custom is the Guru when it comes to brakes. Skimp on something else! A brake is the difference in a rifle that is fun and enjoyable to shoot or one that you put in the back of the safe and forget.

One of my buddies just got the terminator brake on his ul 338 lapua and he said the difference was amazing! I have the defensive edge slab brake on my 338 lapua improved and it's not bad to shoot at all.

Assassin brakes are (IMO) the best brakes on the market. I have them on a 25 wssm to a 375 rum. Unreal craftsmanship and recoil reduction. Well worth your money...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 178
I use a 4 port Muscle break on my .338 EDGE and a 3 port Muscle Break on my 6.5CM. Both excellent breaks. I only shoot 300gr pills out of my edge and I just never get tired of shooting.
On my CM I can spot my shots every time myself.
I just love them.

I used a DE break on my firs edge and by the 10th shot your body would start to fight you prior to the shot. It was a little unconfortable to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_5751.JPG
    IMG_5751.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5793.jpg
    IMG_5793.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6098.jpg
    IMG_6098.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 179
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.