Best 'big' 30 cal

justgoharder

Best \'big\' 30 cal

Hi, just found this forum a couple of days ago and i think i am already hooked!

anyways, i have been looking to add a 'big' 300 to my gun vault. so far i have been leaning towards the 300 RUM. What rifle would you guys recommend?
-OR-
if there is a different caliber you would suggest what rifle then?
Thanks, look forward to your input!

Re: Best \'big\' 30 cal

I have a 300 RUM. It is my "biggest" rifle (30 cal). I love it. I recommend a 28" bbl for full utilization of the cartridge.

My rifle prefers 200 Accubonds and either Re25 or Retumbo. It also prefers 180 TSX and 168 TSX (just as well).

As a Factory BIG 300 the 300RUM is the pick of the bunch heaps of grunt brass is awsome run over a junke imchine to test quality and verry well priced. I dont think you can go wrong if you want a big 300 if you are building a custom rifle look at the 338-300RUM more of a good thing but if you are looking for a factory rifle and 300 only go the 300RUM

Cheers Bill
Australia

Michael, sounds like your gun is working out well!

does anyone have anthing to say about the weatherby 30-378???

I would tell you to go with the 300 RUM,
Brass and Ammo is cheaper and you can find a abudance of realoading data on this site about it.

Look up Richard Graves WildCat bullets, he makes some great bullets and even though he is not making amny 30 cal bullets right now due to jacket issues, when he starts making them again you will like what you see.

If you do get a 300 RUM try the 200gr accubond, everyone seems to love them. As far as factory ammo goes I had good luck with the 150gr scirocco by remington

Good Luck
Steve

Yes, I also tried the 30-378. It had potential but just couldnt make magic out of it. Perhaps with a custom version and longer bbl maybee it would have impressed me more. I get almost as much velocity out of my 300 RUM with amazing accuracy. I think the 300 RUM is much more balanced for the 30 cal but if you need the MAXIMUM amount of velocity then go with the 30-378 and a 30+ tube.

Just my .02

ok so with the 300RUM what do you guys think about the savage 116FSS, it seems pretty 'cheap' i have never shot a savage and to be honest am a little afraid that it will be just that CHEAP, i would love to get a great gun for that cost but if i need to i would rather spend a little more now to get something that will last a life time.

[ QUOTE ]
ok so with the 300RUM what do you guys think about the savage 116FSS, it seems pretty 'cheap' i have never shot a savage and to be honest am a little afraid that it will be just that CHEAP, i would love to get a great gun for that cost but if i need to i would rather spend a little more now to get something that will last a life time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a look at the Remington SPS they have it in 300 RUM and the cartrige was designed for the Rem action and i have not heard of a Bad 300 RUM from Remington. The SPS is parkarised with a Synthetic Stock. Worth a Look if you are on a Budget. The Savage is just too UGLY for me sorry i dont care how they shoot.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Just checked the remington Web prices and the SPS lists at $520US so a verry competative price.

Bill

the savage rifles usually shoot well, even in 300 RUM. I think you would be happy with that rifle.

I can guarantee you that you would not be disapointed with a Savage rifle as long as it isn't a beauty contest.

I completly agree that they are a ugly rifle and the stock on the 16fss is crappy but the guns just plain shoot. A 16fss with a different stock would be a GREAT gun.

My dad recently bought one of the Rem SPS in 300 RUM and it is a **** fine shooting gun. Also has a much better feeling stock on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

My two cents.
Savage! Savage shoots real well, i love the accu trigger ive got two, 11f in 223 great varment rifle, and a 116 (something it stainless and synthetic) 300winmag. The 300 kicks like a mule, the stocks on them are a little on the crappy side. However all the money you spend on it is going into the barrel, action, and trigger. You can buy a new stock fairly cheap thats better or get a good recoil pad. But everyone is right she aint going to win no beuty pagent.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.