Best Bedding Material

This stock a local fella brought to us asking if we could give it a respray. I don't know which brand the stock is. He never mentioned and didn't seem bothered with the condition of the stock. I have no clue what happened to it however cracks all over right down the barrel channel as well as bedding comming off and cracked. One can debate how or if a better/strong bedding material might have helped. Composite stocks and beddings can fail. We did repair the stock for him, recon he is still using it.

Ui8ijUQ.jpg

edi

Same cracks thru inside of stock & bedding and signs of bedding separating from stock lining No telling what bedding is, might be some type of brittle Bondo. All the epoxies I have used won't break off like shown just inside and back of bolt handle slot. Yellow-tan stuff looks like some kind of plastic liner injected inside non-plastic shell - light- weight controlled fill. Cracks don't go thru shell.

Anybody know what "solid fiberglass" is.

Last edited:
This stock a local fella brought to us asking if we could give it a respray. I don't know which brand the stock is. He never mentioned and didn't seem bothered with the condition of the stock. I have no clue what happened to it however cracks all over right down the barrel channel as well as bedding comming off and cracked. One can debate how or if a better/strong bedding material might have helped. Composite stocks and beddings can fail. We did repair the stock for him, recon he is still using it.

Ui8ijUQ.jpg

edi
I say it was more than recoil that did that. Were there pillars install when he brought it to you?

The more I look at it, it looks likes a "let's roll the truck over it" job or heavy tumble down a hill. Pillars were in place.
When we got the stock I didn't look at it and told one of our staff to sand it down prep for spray. When he put it on the work bench there was this funny duff sound to it. I picked it up and saw the cracks. Pretty sure it was epoxy bedding. Bedding was milled etc. The outer fiberglass layer seems separated from the fill in some areas including forend. Interesting is how the bedding failed. My take is that it might be better to have a more flexi bedding material if the backing is softer/more flexi. One reason why I prefer a certain portion of short fibre reinforcement in my bedding compound compared to only cubic/platelets type fill material.
These are the only other pictures I took of that stock. It was not an ultra light stock either.

GqTyCy5.jpg

VSmT3NC.jpg

CjfzQ8K.jpg

aMGrAIp.jpg

edi

Last edited:
^ ejg

Bedding looks like the J-B Weld Steel that I have used. I had some cured J-B on a file handle and clamped it into a vise and twisted it with channel locks and it broke off in sort of a conchoidal fracture (cup shaped) but I needed lots of force. The area behind the bolt handle slot looks like it was chipped off against the receiver & I think J-B would be stronger. Normal use would not have inflicted that much damage - maybe the owner ran out of ammo & needed to use his rifle like a club (needs steel rebars). Scope zero needs to be checked.

Good pics.

Believe me it was a pain in the arse to fix that stock. We had started sanding it before we saw the damage. Pity no picture of the finished stock.
edi