Best bear defense, "be alert" from Outdoor life on bear attacks.

Alibiiv

I was on Facebook when I came across this article. I've read many articles about what is the best self-defense sidearm for bear protection, This article gives a different perspective about protecting oneself from a bear attack. The article is from Outdoor magazine, and............is quite graphic; but, the article comes with an important message. There is a member here in my local church who had an encounter with a grizzly while hunting Alaska. The bear had been shot, there were three hunters who were on high-alert when the incident happened. He was able to fire one round before the bear was upon him, the attack lasted seconds. While talking with him about the incident, he stated that they found the bear the following year when they went back to the same place where the attack occurred. I asked how he knew it was the same bear, he said, "because the teeth match the scars perfectly" ; as he pointed to the top of his head.

www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/game-changers/thirteen-yards-one-second-why-you-can-never-outrun-charging-bear/?fbclid=IwAR1vyuERVHhWU2WWZSnLS06N0osqdMAeK849dF5p1agW8YvYOlICFn-wR3g

Obviously.....being alert is of utmost importance when in bear country. However, bears are pretty well trained predators. They often take down deer, elk, moose.....which have better senses to work with than we humans do! Hence the reason, often...... "no" shots are fired during an attack! There's a pretty good chance that your "high capacity" semi-auto, will still have a full magazine when they recover the body! :eek: memtb

Last edited:
I think a fair amount depends on location, type of bears, and even if part of a 'hunted' bear population.

Bears have the right to be unpredictable, most here in the upper Midwest are not. I'm just talking about black bears, we'll go with MI & WI. The vast majority will scoot out of sight before you know they are around. Of course if you quietly surprise a mommy bear with cubs, most bets are off.

Out near Glacier Park & Yellowstone, one needs to step up the game some, same as in AK. Just like with Covid, there are outliers and exceptions to many rules.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts