Best bear bullet in 6.5mm?

There is another thread just like this one on Here now that might help. Gotta little frisky though....

I have a 6.5 x 55 and a 6.5 PRC. Both have a 1:8 twist. I haven't taken a bear with either one yet, but maybe this year will be the year.
For either caliber, I'd look a these:

1. 124gr Hammer Hunter
2. 156gr Oryx
3. 156gr Berger EOL
4. 140gr Partition
5. 140gr AB

These all have excellent reputation for deep penetration and creating a wide wound channel which is very important with bears.

I have spring bear hunts coming up in Idaho and Montana this year. Looking at taking my 6.5 x 55 with 156gr Oryx and keeping the shots around 200 yds. Why the 6.5 x 55? It's very light and easy to pack in the mountains, low recoil and is very accurate with the right load recipe and even factory Nosler 140gr AB ammo.

The Sierra 140 grain GameChangers are a very good balance of expansion and durability in my opinion. They are a bit tougher than a Scenar or Berger, but not as tough as a bonded or A-Frame type bullet. So, if you are having a hard time deciding, that might fit the bill. Plus, they fly good (at least in my .260 and 6.5C) and are relatively inexpensive, comparatively.

That being said, I completely agree with Feenix when it comes to Black Bear, or Whitetail bullets. There is no "magic". Just put the bullet in the vitals and the animal will die.

I've been guiding bear hunters for 35 plus years, none of what has been typed in this thread is wrong, you can make a case for just about any bullet. "It's not what you shoot, it's where you put the bullet." But I suppose a frangible or a bonded bullet, my preference is a Barnes X or LRX. Just one man's opinion! Happy hunting..

My go to bear cartridge here in wyoming is the 338-06. I shoot 210 tsx at around 2750 fps and it's good on the biggest black bears from any angle. Countless clients have used it to harvest bears with me. But I'm sure you were asking about 6.5 caliber bullets so here goes. In the 6.5 Grendel my daughter shoots 125 partitions, I've loaded 125 partitions and 120 ttsx in the creed and the 260 rem. I've also played with the 6.5x55 and 140 tsx, but my all time favorite 6.5 is the 6.5x284 with a 140 vld hunting bullet and a full house load of RL22! My oldest son would disagree with me and loves his custom 264 win and a 142 long range accubond...... there really is no wrong answer, just preference I guess. So many people are extremely passionate about their opinions on bullets and rifles, I believe everyone should use what works for them...... hope this helps!

Recent Posts