Best bear bullet in 6.5mm?

OG-danimal

Hey all, deciding on what bullet to hunt with for black bear this year. Wondering if a more frangible bullet (Berger or ELDM) would do better then a better penetrating bullet (hammer) for bears? Curious on your thoughts,
Cheers

C8F98BC4-620F-4A9C-9AF6-B2E59F9A278A.jpeg
929DD793-BEF4-466A-A0C8-C91C9C9172DD.jpeg

Both with 6.5 prc and 140 Berger hybrids no problem at all.

Attachments

• 0217BB35-A1B4-4A5E-A56F-9D73AE73411A.jpeg
    0217BB35-A1B4-4A5E-A56F-9D73AE73411A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
Hey all, deciding on what bullet to hunt with for black bear this year. Wondering if a more frangible bullet (Berger or ELDM) would do better then a better penetrating bullet (hammer) for bears? Curious on your thoughts,
Cheers
If you're not shooting long range the Hornady 160 gr rnd nose is a very good bullet. Kind of old school now a days but they do their job. I have an old Winchester 264 that they shoot very well in.

Cheers
Frangible bullets like Berger and ELD-M are designed differently. "My" preference is a bullet with a massive energy dump on impact. They do not necessarily need a pass-through to be effective.

It boils down to your preference and intended purpose. The beauty of it all is you have plenty of choices. Regardless of the claims, there is no such thing as a magic bullet, and it is fail-safe. That is just plain BS.

BS FLAG HUGE.gif

Murphy does not discriminate. Pick a bullet and have a wonderful and safe hunt.

Last edited:
I don't think that the pass thru makes the bullet more effective per say,

Bears don't bleed for a hoot, so two holes gives one a better chance for recovery in the event trailing comes into play.

This I know to be true.

Side note, I'd not worry if I were to use one of the other bullets as I've take and have been around a lot of bears taken with the 22/250 and Swifts using standard cup n core 55's-63's. So two holes is on my radar but not something I sweat over either.

The 139 Scenar is a fantastic bruin bullet as well!

Recent Posts