Best barrel manufacturer

Lee7588

I'm curious on what everyone feels is the best barrel manufacturer. I have used a few different manufacturers over the years Bartlein, Shilen, Carbon 6, Broughton , and Proof research. My opinion is stuck between Broughton and Proof Research. I bought the Broughton as a blank and fit it to the action and it shot like a dream. My Proof was bought as a pre-fit and I installed it on a Zermatt Origin, I had to use a stock off a different rifle to do the break in but was impressed with what I saw after breaking it in. I want to hear everyone's two cents

You can look at this question two ways.
1. The manufacturer of the "BARREL" with the steel metal used along with the process of forging and then the testing of the steel for imperfections.
2. The "Drilling & Rifiling process done by a manufacture to give a Rifled Barrel Blank. There are several different processes for Drilling and Rifiling. QC is very important.

I have seen some very accurate rifles produced from Hammer Forged to 5R Cut.
Some processes may be better for the type of shooting, barrel length & diameter and caliber.
There are some Companies that are known to Drill and Rifle a Barrel with such good tolerance that Hand Lapping is not needed.
This is a hard question to answer. A lot is based on personal preference and experience.
We prefer Krieger, Bartlien, and Spencer/MPA.

Benchmark Barrels make very good barrels also. They offer both cut and button rifled barrels. Either one shoot fantastic.
FWIW, there is another manufacture that is about to make their website live....Ace Barrels. They do cut rifle barrels and can cut to any given twist rate. I have a 308 barrel with an 11.7 twist. It was cut for a specific bullet some years ago for a F-Class gun. The best shooting Vudoo's have Ace Barrels on them. They will be "new" to most people, but have been making barrels for about 10 years.

Having had extremely accurate barrels from varied mfgs, and a few less than acceptable from some of the same, "the best" always depended. During my BR days, Lilja and Hart were my go-to mfgs, but then I have seen many others that would win. There are a lot of factors involved than just the barrel, and a good and precise quality lapping had improved a many "lesser" mfgs barrels for me.

Today, I have a few barrels from mfgs that years ago most had never heard of, but after proper installation, break-in and some load development, they are tack drivers with very tight tolerances and easy to clean. And they cost about 1/2 of the "higher end" brands, which can be a nice thing for those who burn a barrel or two per season.. CNC has come along ways.

Last edited:
Also apart from Coyote Shadow's comments, many of the manufacturers use the same processes. There are only so many ways (with todays tech hammer forged, button, cut, and broached being some of the more popular options) to make a hollow tube rifled on the interior. There also aren't all that many steel manufacturers (And that applies equally to the carbon barrel guys). If we are going to compare rifled barrel blanks that is one thing but lets not compare apples to oranges with involving the discussion of pre-fit barrels.

Personally I am not entirely sure how to separate the discussion cleanly, but I know that a good blank installed by a poor smith can easily be out shot by a budget blank installed by a good smith.

A good barrel is a good barrel, it knows no brand. A State Penn (jokes about this to him) mechanical engeneer friend visited some barrels makers when he went into smithing business. His report, Green Mountain had the most advanced integrated manufacturing quality system.

I'm curious on what everyone feels is the best barrel manufacturer. I have used a few different manufacturers over the years Bartlein, Shilen, Carbon 6, Broughton , and Proof research. My opinion is stuck between Broughton and Proof Research. I bought the Broughton as a blank and fit it to the action and it shot like a dream. My Proof was bought as a pre-fit and I installed it on a Zermatt Origin, I had to use a stock off a different rifle to do the break in but was impressed with what I saw after breaking it in. I want to hear everyone's two cents
Hard to beat a Bartlein or a Proof Research prepped by a good smith.