best bang for the buck . night vision for coyotes

dug

what is the best night vision scope to buy for hunting at night without getting a loan to buy one ?
g1 just looks to blury ,from the advertisements pics, is it enough?
i have never looked through one myself
thx dug

how many yrds can you see with one of these set ups ?
either green or red ?

range found and shot coyotes at 386, 427 and 433. Those are the farthest I recall.

Many, many more at shorter ranges.

I run the red lens and without a lens... depends what the moon is doing.

I have tried cheap night vision and was not impressed. I am much better off with a regular scope, moonlit night, and snow on the ground.

In Kansas, night vision and lights are both illegal for coyote hunting. But I also have found that a really good quality scope with an illuminated reticle helps out. I've got an IOR Valdada 1.5-8x26 that has excellent low light characteristics. I am always keeping track of the moon phases and when it gets full or near full I try to got out a few times. Snow on the ground greatly helps.

If NV were legal to hunt with, I would get the ATN Night Arrow 2CGT. I've done a lot of research and I've decided that 1st Gen would not be good enough to satisfy me. Besides it is low resolution, they usually make noise and do not last as long. The ATN 2nd Gen CGT seems to be quite clear. 3rd Gen of course would be great, but I just don' see the price jump to be justified for what you are getting. I have seen the Night Arrow 2CGT's for around $1200. I keep thinking I might get one some day just to have it around and maybe make some excursions down to Texas to use it for hog hunting. But its hard to want to spend that kind of money on something I cannot even use in my own back yard.

ok thx , i'm thinking a light to start out with , because i just can't swing a 2nd gen NV scope yet . and i want to hunt this yr.
so what color lens does everybody like ?
green or red.
i'm hunting coyotes and foxes
thanks dug

If you can`t swing Gen 3 nite vision you might want to try one of the lazer deisignators. I like Gen 3 goggles and a lazer sight on the AR. If you go that way do not get a green lazer. With a low powered red lazer you will have no trouble seeing the lazer way past the range of your rifle, and the green lazers look like a flood light with nite vision.

that sounds cool ...... more chioces ... just what i need to keep me up at night .

I use red or amber on my scan light and clear on my scope mounted kill light. By the time tje white light hits em they are int the scope and their life expectancy is seconds or less.:D

I use a ITT 6015, just like the PVS14 but with auto gain. According to which rifle it is mated with a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56, or Trijicon if on my POF ar-15. Insight sells an infared laser PEQ2 that works great with this. You can use an infared chem stick as a target. Sight green laser PEQ2 and a red laser in bore of rifle then adjust optic sight to it. Works great ! Loki

A low candlepower spotlight is all you need, we normally just use 100,000 or 200,000 cp lamps. They don't spook or burn their eyes and we try not to take long shots at night. The animals will come in close if you set up correctly and avoid making too much noise. Some folks are uncomfortable with the low power lamps because everything is not in great detail at distance, but just relax and they will come in close. Most of are shots are less than 100yds, really around 50. I let a bobcat walk last weekend that came right up to the truck, we'll see him in a cupole months. :) Hope this helps and saves you some money.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.