Best bang for $$ custom hunting rifle

Gatorpoint

I am looking for a semi-custom/custom hunting rifle. I am new to the custom rifle game but ran across a Hill Country Harvester rifle in 7-08 and really enjoy it. I can tell a difference in it and a typical run of the mill off the shelf rifle. I am looking for another rifle that is comparable or slightly more custom than the HCR harvester as it is basically a tuned stock rifle. The rifle will be used out to 400 yds for deer. Any info on who can build a quality rifle that will meet my needs and not break the bank will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Paul

Savage builds a great LRP. One might not consider these rifles a custom or semi-custom but they have the reputation to shoot like one.

I am looking for a semi-custom/custom hunting rifle. I am new to the custom rifle game but ran across a Hill Country Harvester rifle in 7-08 and really enjoy it. I can tell a difference in it and a typical run of the mill off the shelf rifle. I am looking for another rifle that is comparable or slightly more custom than the HCR harvester as it is basically a tuned stock rifle. The rifle will be used out to 400 yds for deer. Any info on who can build a quality rifle that will meet my needs and not break the bank will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Paul

That depends on the components (action, stock, barrel, trigger, etc ... ) and other options you pick for the build.

Set yourself an actual budget and go from there. Good luck!

Save your cash..go buy any off the shelf bolt under 400$...your good out to 500 and you can put $1600 in your pocket...all can hit a basketball at 500 with no problem.

Go buy a Remington 700 long range.

Then replace barrel, recoil lug, and trigger.

Square receiver and bolt face.

Pillar bed action with factory stock

You can do all of this for $1800 or less and have an easy and forgiving 1/2" rifle.

Thanks for the help. I did just that. I found a donor rifle/action had it worked over, replaced barrel, trigger stock etc and have a very nice sub 0.5 rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.