Best auto powder trickler?

What's the best? This is one of those things where, for the most part, you get what you pay for.
Twenty years ago, I programmed an autodropper machine to interface with an Ohaus scale. It delivered 0.1 grain accuracy every time, but took about 10 seconds between charges. Too slow for production work. I think my work cost about four grand. The Ohaus would have been about two.
For autodroppers, I had a RCBS Chargemaster Gen 1. Finicky ***. The feeder would stop feeding properly, and act funny. Overcharges were common. Gave it away (to someone who needed a scale).
Have a Hornady LnL Autocharge. Half the price of my RCBS. It's very useful. I like that I can program it's feed characteristics so I get zero overcharges. If I had a complaint, I don't care for it's keypad, or that it won't store my feed adjustments. Repeatability seems excellent when I check it with my beam scale.
When you're feeding cases with >70 grains, all autodroppers are slow, unless you want to spend >$600 for a feeder and scale. I'm not in that much of a rush. I load to relax, not to rush through filling cases.
While the RCBS couldn't do it, with the Hornady, I can drop in a spoonful of 85 grains of powder for a 94 grain charge, and the fast/trickle mode will do the remaining few grains.
For pistol or bulk ammo for the 30-30, 5.56 or 7.62, or anything that uses ball or flake powder where I don't care about a 1/2 grain, I'll use a Lyman or Hornady dropper. The lyman does NOT like stick powder, but it has excellent repeatability for flake or ball.

Another vote for RCBS Chargemaster with straw and speed change. A buddy contacted RCBS about scale drift and they said make sure middle support feet are not screwed all the way in. Sounds crazy but worked for me, no more drift over days of zero or calibration weight value.

That's interesting and good to know

A vote for the chargemaster lite from me. When I'm really trying to tighten it up I'll check every charge on another scale (load development, ELR stuff, etc) and it's dead on within .05gr or so. It will overthrow a fair amount (5% of the throws) with really big stick powders like RL33 and N570, but it's easy enough to either dump it and throw another one or tweeze a couple kernels out. I have been eyeing the V3 recently though.

Only issue I've ever had was a kernel of powder got up under the platen one time and was interfering with the load cell. I didn't notice until several minutes later when I left it to throw a charge and went to take a leak, heard it beep while i was gone, came back, and the weight was climbing ~.1gr for every 2 seconds. I investigated and found the kernel and ended up having to dump the entire block and re-throw it all. Tough to blame that on the unit and me not sweeping dribbled powder off in a timely fashion.

Really satisfied with the RCBS Charge Master with the addition of straw for dispensing accuracy and altering the dispensiong speed to speed things up - alterations made a BIG DIFFERENCE. Now dead on for 19 - 20 throws out of 20. This is my second Charge Master.

Been a while but I think so - do internet search. Sorry I can't be of more help as it was several years ago and worked so well never had to go back.

My chargemaster lite came in. Reloaded the first 20 cartridges with no overthrows. Dumped ~45gr of varget in about 25 seconds.

Speedy Gonzalez did some modifications to the rcbs units to get them to run faster and more accurate. I don't remember if he used the lite version though.
Shep
Speedy is my gunsmith. He has the original Chargemaster. He actually took it apart to figure things out. He found out it reverses polarity. He had me buy a "clean" energy source that is a rechargeable battery. It maintains a charge forever and my scale doesn't drift. It's worked very well. I'll have to look up which exact battery he told me to purchase. I bought it off Amazon

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts