Best ammo for .22lr

Has anyone had success with Blazer 22lr? I had the best group ever with it at 100y, then total garbage for the rest of the 2x boxes I had.

Has anyone had success with Blazer 22lr? I had the best group ever with it at 100y, then total garbage for the rest of the 2x boxes I had.
Find the box that shot good and note it's lot number. See if you can find any more of that lot number as it should give the same or similar results. Other lot numbers may or may not give you the same results. Consistency in production costs money, it is what is different between a box of Thundertirds and a box of 10X or R50. If you really want to chase the rabbit you'll need to start testing and then buying same lots of 10X and similar.

I have a good supply of target 22 ammo. Eley silouette, eley brown box, aguila, etc. I no longer have my target 22's, but still have a few ammo cans full of the good stuff.

Try SK Long Range Match. It normally has the lowest SD of any of the medium priced match ammo. SD is very critical in trying to shoot very far with a 22LR. Another sleeper is SK Polar Biathlon. Use your Chrono and compare various brands. LR 22 is a ball. Forget 50yd groups. Don't even test LR ammo there. Start at 100 and try for MOA. Usually stuff that shoots that well will shoot well at 200 also. The $20/bx stuff may or may not shoot better at long range. Remember with a G1 of about .13 and low velocity to begin with, vertical stringing is the biggest problem you are dealing with other than wind. That's why deviation in velocity is so important. It is just like long range centerfire, but amplified.

IMG_5879.JPG

I have a lightweight anschutz hunting gun. Before that had accurized 10/22's. I tried many of the expensive target ammos but hated the smell of some of the powders! For me a 22 needs to smell like cci from my childhood days!
I have had acceptable consistent accuracy with good ole cci round noses and thats what I use because I like the plastic boxes. I dont care for paper boxes in the field and in my truck.
WIND is much more the enemy than accuracy for any particular better quality ammo.
Also - Contrary to conventional centerfire ballistics, lower velocity rimfire loads are less susceptible to wind than the faster ones.

I would like to hear why a lower velocity load is less susceptible to wind.

This article attempts to provide an explanation of the effect. Simply put, when the high velocity ammo crosses the sound barrier(approx 1100-1300FPS) the bullet is destabilized amd the effects of wind more pronounced. For a target shooter trying for 1/4" accuracy a 50 yards the effects can be noticable. My own experience has been mixed, with less influence of this effect at the longer ranges, with higher velocity cartridges often offering advantages in the degree of drop(elevation)

Nobody makes supersonic match ammunition. It is my belief that the problem isn't when the bullet crosses the transsonic barrier, it is that the ammunition that is supersonic is just poorly made and exhibits wild variances in ES.

The only supersonic match ammo I've found is federal hunter match, when punching my eley edge ammo vs that, the higher bc wins out over the extra velocity.

I have several .22's that shoot Mini-Mags better than stuff like R50 or Pistol Match. Crossing the trans-sonic barrier is a period of instability for anything no matter which direction it is changing speed. Just ask the early Super Sonic test pilots. Until they pushed past it, that was a scary place to be and more than one had his aircraft torn apart by it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts