Best ammo for .22lr

I use aguilla super extra 40 gr. rn copper plated one ragged hole at 50 yrds. I have the same rifle in grey laminate, squirrel hunting head shots at 50 yards. I get mine at MID SOUTH SHOOTERS when it is on sale 17.99 for 500 rnds.

I have a little single shot Remington 580. Of all I have tried it likes Lapua Center-X the best. So I bought a case with from the same lot as the stuff I tested. And yes the lot # is important. I also found that mine shoots better with a dirty bore.

What fun! I'm shooting a Ruger 10:22 with a 2oz trigger thru a 24" bull barrel from Bronnell over a stock from a black walnut tree from a friends front yard. One large hole 20 shot groups at 50 yards using CCI mini mags or Remington.
You are lucky to find ammo that consistent for your gun. I moved to South Carolina and the nearest ABRA Match is about 4 hours away so I have 2 rigs built that are now safe queens.

You are lucky to find ammo that consistent for your gun. I moved to South Carolina and the nearest ABRA Match is about 4 hours away so I have 2 rigs built that are now safe queens.
How about looking for a local gun club, or try starting one. Many, many people find shooting 22's a lot of fun, and there is a lot of competition out there. We have 22 matches at my club broken into 4 categories; Unlimited (bench guns), Custom (modified stock rifle) Sported (unmodified stock rifle) and Iron Sights. It is a great way to start a young person down the path to competition. 50, 100 and 200 yard targets (that's as far as we can go at our range). Fun for the entire family.

With my MK Ii and my RPR, I use different ammunition types, but I found 36gr is a little light for me, so I use 40gr. CCI in different velocities, Winchester, Browning, Wolf, Aguila, etc. And yes - they are a kick in the buns to shoot with!

View attachment 166628 I just picked up a Savage Mark 2 and topped it with one of my Sightron scopes, a 4-20x50 S-Tac. The set up works great. My buddy has a Tikka T1X with a Leupold LRP and we're having a blast with these things. We're shooting out to 200 yards and so far, our rifles are shooting the tightest groups with subsonic ammo.

I'm curious about different ammo for this thing and what others are using. What are you guys using as far as rifle/scope set ups and what do you think is the best ammo for the cost?

Many years ago I started using 40gr cci mini mags and they were very accurate in rifles and hand guns (Ruger 77/22, old marlin bolt action, Mark III etc). Those were out of stock a while back and I bought a 550 round brick of cheap federal stuff because it was on sale. Accuracy was terrible. 3+" groups at 50 yards from both rifles. Gave away the remaining 400 rounds and went back to cci and all is well again.

Way back in the old days before the interwebs, one of the outdoor mags like Field &Stream, or Outdoor Life, did a big exhaustive .22 ammo test to see which was the most accurate.

All the commercial stuff, Olympic stuff, just about everything available at that time was tested.

Of course one of the brands the Olympic shooters use won.

But what I took away from the article was that Winchester super x 40gr rn copper plated - (stuff I could find, and afford), was in about third place.

So that's what I use ....when I can find it.

Every 22lr is different , even different from day to day. I got into 22lr stuff pretty deeply for a few years a while back. Cci green tag seemed to shoot respectably in most of my old rigs. Best ever was eley 10x lot# 1075 in a sako finfire i built with a lilja barrel and jewel 2oz trigger. That ammo shot 5 in the 0s and 1s at 50 yards. Best 5 shot group was .005 with that combo. Thats one rig i wish i had not let get away .

I have a browning T22. Likes the regular Winchester or federal red box. Hates golden remingtons. Just need to try and see
From what I've read almost nothing likes those Rem Golden Bullets.

My first try with anything new to me is Mini-Mags, both the HP's and the solids. Almost everything in inventory likes one of the other. Usually the solids, but not always.

I've
From what I've read almost nothing likes those Rem Golden Bullets.

My first try with anything new to me is Mini-Mags, both the HP's and the solids. Almost everything in inventory likes one of the other. Usually the solids, but not always.
If you don't need high velocity rounds I've used Remington sub sonics for years at Walmart I cronographed them years ago and they were very consistent and shot great groups and they don't cost as much as the elys I shot and worked just as good in my gun. David

SK Std. Plus shoots good in all my rifles, everything from a Savage MKII to a Anschutz 1712. It's not the best in every rifle but it shoots well in all of them. The newer production CCI SV has not been very good in anything I own.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts