Best American Hunt???

Bring along your favorite "black rifle" so you can zap p-dogs after you've taken your lope. I'm not sure which I had more fun hunting in the 3 days we were afield. Oh yeah - I plugged a coyote too. 7 STW & a 162 A-Max took care of them both.

7247Antelope.JPG

7247Coyote.JPG

This is 100% what I was going to suggest. And while you are there take the time to scout out other future hunts you might want to do later.

Antelope are out all day for the taking so lots of hunting hours all day. The best table fare one could ever ask for (just get the hide off and chill em asap) easy to drag or pack out. The perfect long range game out in the open. I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a good antelope hunt with a friend or friends.

So a BIG plus 1 with Riley,Harperc, Beardog and Rick.

Jeff

This is 100% what I was going to suggest. And while you are there take the time to scout out other future hunts you might want to do later.

Antelope are out all day for the taking so lots of hunting hours all day. The best table fare one could ever ask for (just get the hide off and chill em asap) easy to drag or pack out. The perfect long range game out in the open. I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a good antelope hunt with a friend or friends.

So a BIG plus 1 with Riley,Harperc, Beardog and Rick.

Jeff
That cannot be stressed enough. Get them open and packed with Ice as fast as you can. At least where we hunt in NM even norther NM it's usually very warm during antelope season.

Also remember they have hollow hair and that hair will absorb anything it touches including gasoline and other chemicals which will rapidly taint the meat so be sure they aren't just flopping around in the back of the truck for hours on end unless the back of your truck is VERY clean.

Great suggestions, all. I would agree that the speed goat would make a good choice and will second the fact that there ain`t no better game meat in the country.
I suggest that once you decide what specie to hunt, and in which state you plan to do it get the game rules asap because often you will have to apply for license and tag as a non-resident. Then get topo maps, Google Earth, and scout the unit if at all possible.
One more suggestion..
Please come to Montana and shoot yourself a wolf!

Good luck,
Griz

Great suggestions, all. I would agree that the speed goat would make a good choice and will second the fact that there ain`t no better game meat in the country.
I suggest that once you decide what specie to hunt, and in which state you plan to do it get the game rules asap because often you will have to apply for license and tag as a non-resident. Then get topo maps, Google Earth, and scout the unit if at all possible.
One more suggestion..

Good luck,
Griz

When I am scouting things out on google earth what exactly should I be looking for?

When I am scouting things out on google earth what exactly should I be looking for?
The terrain, water sources etc. Sometimes you can even pick up the main game trails through a given area if they are traveled by large herds.

Antelope give a choice like to water morning and evening so knowing their approaches to the water sources is extremely helpful in planning a hunt.

What Wild Rose said..

I like using Google Earth for checking out the high country, for instance locating what roads/trails will take you back in as far as possible from the beaten path. Using a topo map you can see the lay of the land by elevation changes, etc., but if you`re looking down on it from a satellite camera that you can zoom in or widen out it gets lots easier, for me anyway, to pick a route to travel. Also you can see what`s timbered and what`s open high meadows, saddles, and even game trails like my sky soldier brother mentioned above.

FYI guys: I`m talking about what I USED TO DO. I`m 66, overweight, and going to have a failed knee replacement done again in a couple of weeks. I will give it my best shot to get back to what has always been a passion. When I had the knees done (one Jan.2000, other May 2000) my buddies bought me tags and in Oct. I was mule deer hunting in Idaho. Just takes work!

One more suggestion..

Good luck,
Griz

If you provide the spot to go and some help and I would be more than happy to attempt a wolf I say attempt because if Broz hasn't killed one yet that is all I would be doing.:D On a side note my last trip to Wy. on a mule deer hunt we were up top before daylight to glass just as the sky was turning pink 3 woofs crossed a ridge one of them stopped set on his butt a couple of min. I ranged him at 273yds. setteled in for a shot my partner was freakin out and begged me not to shot said it would mess up a chance for deer not to mention we didn't have license hell I don't think they had even agreed to have a season.
I was just gonna follow the SSS rule, but instead put safety back on, and watched him join his buddys. Should have shot.gun) So who knows maybe I would get lucky in Mt.:rolleyes:

If you provide the spot to go and some help and I would be more than happy to attempt a wolf I say attempt because if Broz hasn't killed one yet that is all I would be doing.:D On a side note my last trip to Wy. on a mule deer hunt we were up top before daylight to glass just as the sky was turning pink 3 woofs crossed a ridge one of them stopped set on his butt a couple of min. I ranged him at 273yds. setteled in for a shot my partner was freakin out and begged me not to shot said it would mess up a chance for deer not to mention we didn't have license hell I don't think they had even agreed to have a season.
I was just gonna follow the SSS rule, but instead put safety back on, and watched him join his buddys. Should have shot.gun) So who knows maybe I would get lucky in Mt.:rolleyes:
I don't have that kind of self control.

I'm also a bird hunter and wolves are absolutely hell on birddogs. Sometimes Right/Wrong are not synonymous with Legal/Illegal.

Not to turn this into a wolf-hating thread, but if happen to tie one to a tree, you`ll be the first to know!
I used to enjoy hunting the West Fork Bitterroot. Be a good jump off point to locate a pack. 2009 elk herd-some 2300 head, last numbers I seen it`s down below 800. Bastards!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.