Best American Hunt???

timmymic

I am looking for a hunt to go on in CONUS and was wondering if you guys had some opions on any med-big game hunts! Open to anything!!!

I dont have any points and i would really like to do it myself! my wife is really into taking pictures so i do the hunting and she shoots with the camera!!

I am stationed in NC, but my family is from WI. I am not picky on specie or location.

To tell you the truth, antelope hunting is the most fun hunt i have been on. And doe tags are cheap in WY.

Riley nailed it. Antelope make a great western hunt. Can be as easy or difficult as you wish. Ideal for bringing the wife, camp or stay in town. Landowner tags in some states, application process starting soon.

Id agree with Antelope. I have a few buddies that have use Antelope hunting to introduce big game hunting to their wives because, like it was said above, it can be as easy or hard as you want, and the weather is typically nice.

I would agree with antelope, mule deer prefrence points are best, but not always necessary I got lucky and drew a Wy. tag with no points. Co. for elk 2nd or 3rd season across counter tags (huh Riley) :D . Whatever you choose do some homework, make a few phone calls check with Ag. office's in area you want to hunt they usually can provide you with some landowner names to make those phone calls and if you let them know you are willing to hunt second week of season it sometimes helps in securing access.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

I am looking for a hunt to go on in CONUS and was wondering if you guys had some opions on any med-big game hunts! Open to anything!!!
One nice thing about NA is we have a vast array of things to hunt that fit the bill all of which offer different challenges.

When it comes to just flat hard to hunt successfully Sheep are right up there towards the top.

Big bears offer a hair raising challenge because to a Grizzly you're just part of the food chain.

Mule Deer and Elk are challenging because of the terrain where they are found and difficulty in getting deep in where the big guys are.

Big Boars are just flat hard to kill and pretty much refuse to go down without a direct CNS interrupting shot.

Antelope/Pronghorn probably have the best eyes and ears of all of our N. American game and tend to be found in the toughest and driest conditions where wind makes the shooting very challenging.

I'm sure the list goes on.

For me, if I had the time and budget I'd first like to go after Aoudad, and then the rest of the N. American Sheep and then off to Asia for Marco Polo and the other mountain sheep they have.

I figure I could easily blow about 300k in a decade hunting sheep if I had it HA!.

Antelope has been mentioned a few times an I found them very challenging.

I recently hunted Aoudad in West Texas over a 20K acre spread. Mostly high bluffs and cliffs. The most challenging hunt I have been on. Took me 2 1/2 day to take my trophy.
IMG_1369.jpg

Over-the-counter elk in Colorado. They have lots of elk and lots of open public land. Beautiful country too. Great tasting meat. For a first hunt, I would go for cow elk to increase my chances of success.

Antelope in WY would be my second choice. You will see game and you can almost guarantee longrange shots.

To tell you the truth, antelope hunting is the most fun hunt i have been on. And doe tags are cheap in WY.

This is 100% what I was going to suggest. And while you are there take the time to scout out other future hunts you might want to do later.

Antelope are out all day for the taking so lots of hunting hours all day. The best table fare one could ever ask for (just get the hide off and chill em asap) easy to drag or pack out. The perfect long range game out in the open. I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a good antelope hunt with a friend or friends.

So a BIG plus 1 with Riley,Harperc, Beardog and Rick.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts